This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Zoom university is noticeably different from in-person classes. There are definite pros and cons when it comes to online school, but the overall consensus among the people I’m surrounded by is that it is incredibly easy to feel overwhelmed these days. I’ve compiled a few ways to destress in the age of virtual learning, and hopefully, they can help if you’re feeling a lot of pressure.

Write it all down

Take the time to write down your goals, whether it be for life or for school. Writing down goals helps keep you focused and the more detail, the better. In a study called “The Gender Gap and Goal-Setting” run by Mark Murphy, Murphy found that written goals should also include pictures, drawings, etc. The goals need to be very defined and written out. He found that less than one-fifth of respondents put that kind of detail into writing their goals. A vividly written description helps you to picture the goal, making you up to 1.4 times more likely to succeed than someone who didn’t write anything down. Drawing in and of itself is a mindfulness strategy, so why not draw out some goals that can contribute to your long-term success?

Put money towards a trip

Travel is postponed until who knows when but putting money towards a trip is something to look forward to. Your future self will thank you when crossing the border is safe and you’re ready to hop on a flight to wherever your heart desires. It may seem unattainable now, but a little bit of money each month goes a long way.

Masturbate!

Masturbation has so many health benefits, but it often gets pushed aside when other priorities take over your life. Masturbation helps to reduce stress, contributes to an easier sleep and can help you feel more confident in your sex life. Masturbation can even increase libido. According to Dr. Trubow, the more one stimulates oneself, the more one wants to be stimulated. Being in touch with your body seems to only have benefits, so take the time to really explore what gets you going.

Laugh

This probably seems like an obvious one, as the more you laugh, the happier you are. But did you know that laughing can also lower blood pressure, reduce stress hormones and improve cardiac health? Your brain doesn’t even know the difference between a fake and real laugh/smile because it interprets the positioning of the facial muscles in the same way. So go ahead and laugh the pain away!

It can be hard to be selfish and take the time to truly think about what you want and need while also balancing online school, but sometimes, it’s so necessary.

References:

Greene, Brett. “The Psychology Of Writing Down Goals.” New Tech Northwest, 7 Aug. 2019.

LaMeaux, E.C. “7 Health Benefits of Laughter.” Gaiam.

Smith, Jennifer. “7 Benefits of Smiling and Laughing That You Didn’t Know About.” Lifehack, Lifehack, 14 Nov. 2017.

Zoldan, Rachel Jacoby. “14 Benefits of Female Masturbation and Why Every Woman Should Do It.” SELF, 31 Dec. 2018.

Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier University
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!