This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I recently wrote an article about my favourite hair products, so I thought it would only be appropriate to follow it up with an article that looked more at the maintenance side of hair care.

If you have thick hair, you probably don’t need to wash it as much. I personally wash my hair once a week; this helps to maintain natural oils in my hair, which are necessary for it to stay healthy. Make sure you are using a separate shampoo and conditioner, as a two-in-one alternative is not as effective. Get all the shampoo out of your hair and leave the conditioner on for at least a few minutes.

Hair products are a must. After you wash your hair, you typically want to apply some products that suit your hair type. Hair products help to control different hair issues. Also, you want to make sure you use heat protective products when styling your hair!

While on the topic of heat, try to apply it as little as possible. Instead, I often braid my hair or put it up, and only apply heat once a week at the most. To avoid breakage, try to avoid hair dye. In my experience from never dying my hair, my hair grows fast and thick. To keep your hair from further damage, remember to go into your favourite hairstylist for regular trims.

After a shower, try using leave-in conditioner and use a hair towel. There are special hair-drying towels, which are more kind to your hair than regular towels. I normally braid my hair after a shower so that it dries nicer.

Brushing your hair also stimulates growth. Try brushing with a comb after a shower, and then move to a brush. Also, when you brush your hair always start at the bottom and then work your way to the top of your head.Hopefully these tips and tricks bring you some luck — and remember, healthy hair is happy hair!

Simmone Huras

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Simmone Huras is a 3rd year Political Science Major at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.