This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

2020 was a rough year. You know it, I know it. We learned a lot last year. We learned how to do school from home, we learned how to be apart from people we care about. We learned a lot about the world, with the good, the bad and the ugly. One thing I learned, is that life is super short. We lost nearly a whole year to isolation, through quarantine and social distancing and being apart from friends and family. I was unable to do so many things I wanted to, as did everyone else since we were all affected by the virus and quarantine. 

I don’t want 2021 to be rough, so I’m going to try and change that.

I’m not usually one to make a new years resolution, nor am I one to stick to them if I do. This year though, I made one to myself…

Do things that are important to me.

Life is too short to be worried about what others think and to limit yourself to the opinions of others around you. I am always worrying about what other people think of me and I know that I won’t stop soon, but what I will stop doing is letting their opinions stop me from doing things that I care about.

I will lay in bed one day, not doing much, because it’s important for me to get my rest.

I will play some video games because having fun games to play is important to me. 

I will go and do these hobbies I nearly gave up on in fear of people thinking they’d be weird. For example, I used to creative write religiously, but out of fear of people thinking my work was stupid, I nearly gave up.

No more. I will do that because it is important to me.

I will stress about school since school and my future is important to me.

I will go and be “silly” and act weird when I want because it’s a great release of stress.

I will go tell my friends, family and boyfriend how much I love them. Because they are important to me.

I will go and get someone to take that picture of me in front of whatever the hell I want, because I want to.

I will get that damn tattoo because I want to… and no it doesn’t need a reason.

I will share that post that I think is important because it is. To me.

Too often I see people, myself included, stop doing things because of others’ opinions or fear of others’ opinions. So, if you’re reading this, don’t stop!

Go and do those things that make you happy.

Whatever that may be. You go do it. Even if it’s crazy, even if you may think it’s silly. Never stop doing something that is important and meaningful to you for any reason. Life is too short and way too unpredictable to limit yourself and your life. What matters to you is important, because you are important.

Don’t ever forget that.

Cheers to a new year, and being unapologetically yourself!

Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!