5 Ways to be a #GirlBoss and Stay Motivated This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Be ambitious and start facilitating healthy habits that will propel you towards success this upcoming year! Every #GirlBoss has big goals and isn’t afraid of going for it wholeheartedly, so put in the effort now and you’ll be living the fabulous life you’ve always wanted soon enough!

1. Take Care of You – Physically & Mentally

The most important goal you should have this year is to invest in yourself! Let 2016 be the year you’re a little more selfish and start indulging in more self-love and growth.

A new year means a fresh start. It’s time to throw away those dirty habits of avoiding physical activity or ruminating on negative thoughts. Be kind to yourself and make it a priority to be incredibly healthy and happy! Once you start investing in your well-being, you will start to realize that everything else you need to accomplish is attainable. You truly feel a sense of peace when you find balance, and only let positive thoughts flow through your mind. Taking care of your body is crucial, and letting go of negativity is key to staying motivated.

2. Put Your Goals on Paper

Having a clear idea about what you want to do and where you want to be this year is the first step in attaining your goals. Be specific and precise about what you want to achieve, and have a set deadline you want to achieve it by. What do you need to accomplish by next week? Where do you see yourself in a month’s time? How about in six months? Break it all down into a concise, straightforward plan.

This gives you structure and clarity on the process of how to get to where you want to be. It’s important to realize that nothing is more powerful than your ability to focus on a goal, and to put in the definite steps and hard work it takes to get there. Success is no accident; you have to do it on purpose.

“You combine hard work, creativity, and self-determination, and things start to happen.”

– Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS

3. Read More

Reading is a privilege, and what a wonderful gift it is to be able to receive more insight and knowledge about any topic that you’re curious about! Whether that’s starting your own business, or simply being more conscious about what’s happening in the world, books and blogs contain vital info that can help shape your personal experience and assist you in accomplishing your goals (check out sites like businessinsider.com and entrepreneur.com). You also become a more well-rounded person with awareness and intellectual depth. Being smart is sexy!

4. Indulge in Simple Pleasures

Go to Lush and buy a bath bomb. Light candles. Listen to good music. Laugh more. Love more. Go for jogs and nature walks. Eat delicious foods and savour every bite. Drink coffee. Drink wine. Take more pictures and have more adventures. Create art. Do yoga. Wear bold lipstick and don’t feel bad about spending money on clothes that make you feel cute. Have deep conversations with close friends, or enjoy alone time in your room. Breathe and always feel grateful for the little things.

5. Stay Positive, Work Hard, & Make it Happen

Finally, remember that this is YOUR year to shine, to experience more of life, and to grow as a person! You can achieve absolutely anything you decide to put your mind to, and without a doubt you will do incredible things. It’s all about effort and obtaining a positive mindset that fails to recognize failure. Stop telling yourself you can’t, and believe that you can instead.  It will change everything!

Ask yourself if what you’re doing today is getting you closer to where you want to be tomorrow. Dream big, start small, and act now!

Fueled by coffee, books, flowers, & friends. Positive psych & vintage enthusiast. ig: @leannesaechao
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem