This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

This fall, a new obsession of mine has been to find healthy and festive recipes involving pumpkin. As my family knows, I have been baking obsessively over the past few weeks and I wanted to share some of my favourite fall finds!

Scouring the internet for simple recipes with only a few ingredients can be difficult. Many recipes claim to have ‘few ingredients’ and are ‘simple;’ meanwhile they call for pretty obscure pantry items such as avocado oil, which is surprisingly expensive to purchase. It was $14.00 at my local grocery store!

Without further ado, here are some of the truly easy fall recipes I have been enjoying this season.

The first recipe that I recommend is Healthy Pumpkin Waffles by Slenderberry:

When making this recipe, I would also note that you do not have to use almond milk and coconut oil if you do not have them. Personally, I would substitute with lactose free milk and sunflower oil instead.

Simple to make and perfect for breakfast, this recipe is worth a try and pairs well with a cup of coffee or tea!

Next up is this Healthy Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Pinch Of Yum:

This recipe is perfect when you are looking for a meal that is filling on an especially cold, fall day (as we are far too familiar with here in Canada).  However, bacon is totally optional in this recipe if you are vegetarian or vegan!

Last, but certainly not least is this Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte by Get Healthy U:

As a fan of everything pumpkin, I had been very excited to try the classic fall Starbucks drinks such as the pumpkin spice latte and the new pumpkin spice cold brew. However, after purchasing these drinks in the past, I found that they were far too sweet for my personal taste.

What makes this pumpkin spice recipe so perfect?  Well, you have the freedom to cater it to your own personal sweet tooth! If you prefer less sweetener like I do, I recommend one tablespoon of agave syrup (or another of your sweetener of choice). Even if you do enjoy the fall drinks that Starbucks has to offer, I would recommend giving this recipe a try as it will save you a lot of money in the long run (and you can whip one up yourself whenever you want it – especially between long zoom calls and lectures).

I hope this article has inspired you to make some pumpkin-based fall recipes and has given you something to look forward to making throughout the week, especially as it is harder to go out and purchase food this fall as compared to last. However, we can still find ways to get into the fall spirit, and this could be your first step in doing so!

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her