Style > Beauty

Where to Look: A Guide to London’s Best Beauty Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Leaving your hometown and all the people who help you feel beautiful can be absolutely terrifying. This is especially if you’re someone who is particular over the possibility of a haircut going wrong, and full of anxiety throughout. 

Don’t fret though girl, I got you. Below you will find a guide for hair, nails, lashes and gyms I have personally visited to get you through until you can return to your beloved crew back home. 

Hair

$$$ – SUKI Salon

Suki’s is top of the line in London, ON. My personal experience was wonderful. They are extremely professional to the point of intimidation (if you’ve never felt ugly with that black thing they tie around your neck to keep hair off you, you’re about to) and no matter who you get, you’re in good hands. It is a pricey place, but if you are looking for the top of the line for your high maintenance do, this is definitely where you want to go.

$ – Ever New Hair Salon

Elham is one of the kindest ladies I have ever met. She makes you feel right at home and wants nothing more than to make sure you’re happy during your interaction. I always leave with exactly what I want. Elham has experience with all kinds of hair, from mine (super thin, blonde and highlighted) to her daughters’ (thick, very dark). If you get the Groupon and use that for your first visit, she keeps your information and gives you the current Groupon price every time you return. She will be your hair-mom away from home and who doesn’t love leaving being told you’re beautiful on your way out the door.

Nails

$$ – S&H Beauty Nails

This family-run salon is cute as a button and can quickly provide you with the necessities to get you beautiful before you hit the road. Their prices are one of the better ones in London, and they’re pretty good at getting you on time and out the door. They have a great colour selection and are happy to bling you up with any stones they’re able to glue on. It’s conveniently located at Dundas and Richmond, making it easily accessible from all parts of London.

$$$ – Hot Nails Wellington

This good-sized salon is excellent for gettin’ ya nails did with your best friend. It can be a little bit more time consuming, but they do their best to get you exactly what you want, from designs to bling to shape. This salon is licensed (pinot grigio while I get pampered? HELLO) and the staff are wonderful, making this is the perfect spot for any nail date you might wanna go on.

Lashes

$$ – Lash Queen

For me, there is no other. This lovely mother-daughter run spot is glamorous, cozy and completely worth the little bit of a bus ride. Located in beautiful Byron, you will find Lash Queen. Several services for lashes are offered, including extensions, tinting and lifting. When Canadian country superstar Brett Kissel came to London, his wife needed her lashes done and she went to none other than the Lash Queen herself. That should tell you all you need to know. Go.

Gyms

$ – Fit 4 Less, Westmount

This particular Fit 4 Less is located in sleepy Westmount Shopping Centre, making it perfect for anyone who hates working out with an audience (something experienced when working out at Western’s rec centre). It is, of course, the basics, because it is a Fit 4 Less, but it’s just one bus away from campus down Wonderland Road. With a Timmies attached and a couple of food spots across the parking lot, it is a great and safe destination for those who work out alone, or with a partner.

$$ – YMCA, Central Branch

Located downtown, this YMCA location is convenient and almost never busy. It offers basic machines, as well as classes. And, it has a pool! Surrounded by different restaurants and coffee shops, it is perfect for any time of day. The staff are kind and the whole facility is super clean. If you’re okay with paying a little more for features such as a pool and want a 24-hour Subway just one block west (my personal favourite), this would be perfect for you.

Some Beauty Extras…

Skincare: I personally have super sensitive skin and have to be careful with cleansers. Lush Masonville has hired angels for staff who are knowledgeable and only want to help you glow more than you already do. This is an environmentally friendly option and always smells AH-MAZING.

Haircare: My hair care regimen is that of a working student: almost nonexistent. If you’re also a busy bee, I recommend Batiste dry shampoo for those cringey can’t shower days. You can pick it up at Walmart for about $8.50, or for a couple bucks more you can find it at Shopper’s Drug Mart and get those PC Optimum Points. Don’t forget to use a heat spray for straightening to keep your new do happy and healthy. I use Got2b Guardian Angel flat iron spray and find it works fine. It can be found at Walmart for around $6.50.

Keeping up with yourself at university can be hard, but it’s important that you feel healthy,  happy and beautiful even with the stress that is flying your way. These suggestions won’t steer you wrong, and you should feel like yourself in no time. Stay happy and stay gorgeous Mustang. We got you.