How Getting a Dog in College Helped My Well Being

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week at HC Western Ontario. Join the conversation with #HCWesternTalks.

I’ve always loved animals. I have two cats, and they’ve been my babies since I was a kid. When I first moved to college, I lived in residence, and so my cats obviously could not come with me, and that made me so sad. I would even Skype with them, which always made me cry. 

When I moved out of the dorms, and into a house, my cats became my first roommates. And I got a dog. I didn’t get just any dog: I got a Great Dane. When my dad suggested that I get a dog, I was worried. After all, I was a college student. I was busy. My schedule was erratic. And I had never had a dog before. I didn’t know what kind of care it would need, or how much attention. 

So, my second week in my new home, and my second year in university, my dog came to live with me. She was only eight months old at the time — still a puppy. Every morning, I had to get up and take her outside, I had to make sure that there was dog food — and cat food and cat litter! — in the house. I had to make sure that she ate — what was that bump on her leg?  How many hours will I be gone because I have to get home and let the dog pee, and did she go on a walk today? I was so worried about her, and I really didn’t want to mess up being a new dog mom. 

Taking care of all my animals and taking care of myself was difficult. But even on the days where I couldn’t dream of getting out of bed, I knew that the dog had to go out to pee, and she should probably go for a walk. And once we go outside on our morning walk, I immediately felt better.  

When my anxiety got really, really bad, and I wasn’t sleeping at night, I knew that she would protect me. When I was sad and scared  I knew that she would kiss my face and snuggle up on the couch with me. The cats were there for me too — laying on my pillow, meowing for attention. The animals never told me to “get over” my feelings. They never told me to stop crying or that my crippling anxiety was irrational. They just snuggled me and loved me unconditionally, and they served a purpose for me that no one else could. 

Having a dog in college has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. My dog makes me active and responsible, and she makes me feel safe. But here’s the thing: it’s not for everyone. If you are not willing to dedicate the necessary time and energy to an animal, then don’t get an animal. If you feel like you can barely take care of yourself, you probably shouldn’t get an animal. Unless you are 100% sure about your ability to take care of a pet, then you should not get one. Owning a dog in college isn’t for everyone.

All photos by Ariel Vaisbort

Ariel graduated from Western University in 2017. She served as her chapter's Campus Correspondent, has been a National Content Writer, and a Campus Expansion Assistant. She is currently a Chapter Advisor and Chapter Advisor Region Leader. 
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.