This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Looking back on my first year of university, I vividly remember stepping onto Western’s campus filled with anticipation and jitters. I didn’t know what to expect, but I feel as though I’ve learned a lot. Throughout the year, I met new people, formed cherished memories and gained insight from both my classes and those around me.

After some reflecting, here are a few tips for first year I thought I’d share!

1. Don’t be shy, say hi!

First year is a great time to meet new people and make friends. After all, most first years are in the same boat: they are incoming students who don’t know most of the people around them. The best part is, there are many ways to meet others whether it’s through O-Week, residence, classes, events or clubs. It might be difficult, but start a conversation with a total stranger. Who knows? That stranger might end up being a good friend of yours! The only way to find out? Don’t be shy and say hi!

2. It’s all about balance!

Sure, Western may have the reputation of being a “party school,” but having a little bit of fun here and there never hurt anyone. It’s all about balance! Have dinner with your friends, go out to a movie or just stay at home for a night of bingeing Kim’s Convenience. While grades may be important, so are the memories that you will create in this stage of your life surrounded by your friends and passions. Don’t forget about your health because it is just as important. Hit the gym, go for a jog or inhale those delicious fruits practically begging for you to eat them—do whatever it is you want! 

3. Beat the Procrastination Bug!

I know, I know. Netflix, basketball and video gaming sound a lot more enticing than those textbooks sitting in your bookshelf, but that’s just the effect of the Procrastination Bug! Don’t fall for its rather nasty bites. Get a jump start on your readings, homework and assignments, and then relax to your heart’s content. For a quick read on how to beat the Procrastination Bug, check out Keep on Track for Your Snack! You’ll get your fun, and your work done. It’s a win-win!

And that’s it! Those are some simple tips that will hopefully make your year all the better.

Have a great year!