CONNECT: Women in Science Conference 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Women in Science is an organization aimed at eliminating gender inequality in the disciplines of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). The organization focuses on encouraging women to become more involved and to continue making a positive change in these fields. This year, Women in Science will be holding their first undergraduate conference, CONNECT, in collaboration with the Environmental Science Association and Students Offering Support. The conference will be held on January 26, 2019, from 9-5:30 at University College.

CONNECT will take a deeper look at the STEM fields using an interdisciplinary perspective. Through the conference, Women in Science hopes to inspire more women to take their passion for STEM outside of the classroom.

The conference will consist of several activities, including a keynote speaker, a panel with interdisciplinary researchers in the STEM fields, a workshop on social entrepreneurship by Propel and an industry hour, where attendees will have the chance to network with representatives from different programs and industries. The conference will also include a case conference, where delegates, working in teams of four, will be tasked with coming up with an interdisciplinary solution to a problem for the chance to win a grand prize worth $300. This year’s case conference focuses on the theme of ocean plastics.

If you are interested in attending CONNECT, applications can be found here and are due by January 22, 2019 at 11:59 PM. Successful applicants will be required to pay a $10 entrance fee. For more information on CONNECT, check out the event page or email uwo.wis.communications@gmail.com.