How Workplace Sexism Led to the Women in STEM Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Although open sexism has become socially unacceptable in Western culture, the idea that women can be intelligent remains a lost notion.

Western’s Women in STEM club is open to all Western students regardless of their academic background. By hosting events throughout the year, such as the Case Study Competition, the club promotes success for members who are interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematic fields.

Provided by Women in STEM

Its purpose is to end the social construct that men are dominating these majors, and the club aims to uplift women in these fields.

Alina Huang, a fourth year Classical Studies major, is the Founder and President of Women in STEM.

“Our role is to be the officer that guides and celebrates new solutions for female equality,” said Huang.

The club does not condone the illogical idea that feminism is a battle between males and females. Its mission is to create a safe women’s group that includes men in order to improve together.

“People think that women’s issues only belong to women, but these issues are everyone’s issues too,” said Mariska Cho, a third year Political Science major and the Vice President of External Relations of STEM.

Huang shared that the largest reason she founded Women in STEM is because both Cho and herself have dealt with sexism in the workplace. Both were instructed to repeatedly get coffee or run personal errands by their male bosses. Whereas their male colleagues, hired for the same job, were taking meetings with CEOs and attending meetings.

“In the end it was his internal bias and prejudice that led to him treating me differently. I approached him about the issue but he claimed he didn’t like my working style,” said Cho.

Women in STEM encourages men to join as a method to end the stigma and close down gender fixes. Gurjyot Johal, a third year Health Sciences student with a specialization in Biology, is the Vice President of Sciences of STEM.

“Majority of feminists are stereotyped as ‘feminazis,’ but when you see males involved, then people open up,” said Johal.

“It’s the idea of men using their inherent privilege to uplift. But men face sexism too. [Society] doesn’t think men should be stay at home dads. People don’t look highly on that. When you let men and women do what they want, you will see them prosper,” said Cho.

Provided by Women in STEM

Although female employment rates have increased over the decade, women within STEM fields are still having their intelligence questioned.

“When you see a young attractive woman, people do not connect the thoughts. A woman who is beautiful can get her PhD, but somehow a lot of people will be shocked,” said Huang.

Subconscious sexism is the newest form of indirectly degrading a female because of her gender. Women are called aggressive rather than assertive, or loud rather than powerful.

“In terms of what children are going to do in the future, boys are told doctors, girls are assumed nurses. That idea of aiming low, that gets ingrained into your head. Women in STEM want to help women understand they can be a Fortune 500,” said Johal.

In January, Women in STEM holds a case study competition with teams composed of two science students and two business students. Teams are given the opportunity to pitch their ideas to a panel of judges made up of Western professors.

“Entrepreneurship is huge in our society, which is why we do this. Combining Ivey Business and science students encourages an application of knowledge into a venture of their own,” said Cho.

President and Founder Alina Huang wants Women in STEM to be a place that celebrates women and their accomplishments.

“Personally, [this club] helped me regain my courage. STEM is something that is necessary to promote innovation and breakthrough and I wanted to be a part of that,” said Huang.

Interested in joining Women in STEM? Find their applications here

To apply to be an executive member, go to their website!

Have you experienced sexism in the workplace? Let us know in the comments section below!