This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week at HC Western Ontario. Join the conversation with #HCWesternTalks.

I’ll keep this short and sweet.

I’m writing this to you today because you deserve more thanks than I could ever give. I don’t think it’s possible to explain in words how much you have affected me.

When I was in high school, I often thought I wouldn’t live to see the next Christmas. I didn’t see myself being around long enough to graduate high school and go to university. And I certainly didn’t see myself pursuing a Master’s degree and a career that I loved. But here I am.

I’m still here.

The person who I was when I when I was a teenager was nowhere close to who I am now. And I know — probably all 22 year olds would say that. But the person I was was unhopeful, unhappy, and had no aspirations in life. She didn’t care to get out of bed, and  she got anxious doing even the most every day tasks. She thought she was alone. 

The person I am now is entirely different. I can’t believe that version of myself ever existed. I am motivated. I am determined. I am strong, and I am happy. This person who I am now could have never evolved had it not been for the unconditional love and support from all those who surrounded me.

So thank you, for making me who I am today.

Thank you for never giving up hope on me.

Thank you for showing me the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for saving my life.

Alexie is a graduate from The University of Western Ontario where she majored in English and minored in both Writing and Anthropology. She is now a graduate student at Western, where she is completing a Masters of Media in Journalism and Communications. Reality TV junkie and social media addict (follow her on instagram: @alexie_elisa and twitter: @AlexieRE_Evans), Alexie is ecstatic to be on the alum team of HC Western Ontario after loving being the campus correpondent in her undergrad!
Kellie Anderson is incredibly proud and excited to be Western Ontario's Campus Correspondent for the 2015-2016 year. She is currently in her fourth year of Media Information & Technoculture, and has an overflowing passion for creative writing. While Kellie loves to get wildly creative while writing fictional short stories, she has found that her true passion is in shedding light towards hard-hitting topics like Mental Illness - she believes that writing is the best healer. Kellie has some pretty BIG plans for her future and can't wait to graduate as a Her Campus Alumni! You can contact her at kellieanderson@hercampus.com.