10 Ways to Treat Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Western chapter.

Life can often get very stressful, especially when you’re a student or working frequently. It’s easy to get caught up in a strict routine of doing the same thing everyday, so doing things for yourself doesn’t seem like an option. I personally think self care is extremely important and doing something for yourself everyday is a necessity. Rewarding yourself for all your hard work is something we should all do everyday to promote a healthy and positive life. Here are ten things that I like to do to cheer myself up throughout the week and to motivate myself to do even better!  

1. Do a face mask

Doing a face mask and relaxing is always a great way to wind down at the end of the day. Some awesome face masks for all skin types can be found at Lush and even at Shoppers Drug Mart!

2. Hit the Salon

You don’t have to go anywhere expensive, you could even have a DIY night at home with your favourite nail polish, some new hair products, and some of your favourite magazines. Trying something new with your look can make you feel happier and is definitely a confidence booster.

3. Go out for coffee

Going out for coffee at your favourite coffee shop, Tim Hortons, or even Starbucks can inspire you to be more productive!

4. Go for a workout class at the Rec Centre or a studio in London.

Treat your body to a fun class that’ll get your heartbeat up! You can jam to new music and even go with friends. It’s healthy and a great way to start your day!

5. Go for dinner with a friend

Sometimes it’s hard to see friends every day due to hectic schedules, so go to the Spoke on campus or make dinner with a friend to catch up on life!

6. Eat chocolate

This is my personal favourite because whenever I’m having a tough time, I eat a small piece of chocolate and it instantly puts me in a good mood and reminds me that little things can bring happiness.

7. Take a nap

Relax, put some calming music on, and take a little nap to recharge.

8. Make a playlist of all your favourite music and jam out to it!

I love having dance parties (even by myself); it’s a great way to release any built up emotions and let everything go.

9. Walk to class

Sometimes walking to class is difficult because of the snow, but if it’s mild out, walking to class can be great because of the fresh air! Put some headphones in or walk with friends—either way, it’s a great opportunity to look at the beautiful buildings on campus.

10. Watch your favourite show

Start or end your day with the show that makes you the happiest! Some of my favourites on Netflix are New Girl, Bob’s Burgers and This Is Us. They’re super easy to watch and they’re great background noise.

Here are some of my favorite activities to treat myself! These are just some of the things that brighten my day, but hopefully you can find inspiration from this and take some time to treat yourself.