This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wesley chapter.

1. keep your room dark

A dark room will signal your body that it is time to rest and it is most likely that you will fall asleep faster. This means that you must turn off your phone, turn your alarm away, and eliminate any form of lighting coming into your room. Any form of light might trick your brain into believing that it is daytime and may cause you trouble when trying to fall asleep. However, this is not true for everyone as some individuals sleep better with a nightlight. The less lighting coming into your bedroom, the best night of sleep you will have.

2. Exercise

By maintaining an active lifestyle during the day, your body will rest better during the night when it is time to snooze off. Exercise, overall, benefits the body and this is just another way it does so. Do not exercise before going to bed as your energy levels will increase and it will be problematic for you to fall asleep. 

3. Eat these foods

According to Eric Suni and Dr. Nilong Vyas, foods that can impact your sleep include:

Kiwi (antioxidant properties), Tart Cherries and tart Cherry Juice (high concentrations of melatonin), Malted Milk and Nighttime Milk (melatonin), Fatty Fish Nuts (Vitamin – regulates the body’s serotonin), nuts (melatonin, magnesium, and zinc all contribute to getting better sleep), and Rice (carbohydrates which contain tryptophan, a sleep-promoting amino acid). 

4. Try not to nap during the day

Limiting naps during the day, your body will be prepared to fully rest during the night. This makes sense, but some people tend to do this often and tend to stay up during the night and wake up unrested and tired. If you love to take naps and feel like you cannot go a day without taking one, then try to set up an alarm for 30 minutes and try not to nap past that time. Do this daily until you get used to napping for no more than 30 minutes or try not to nap too much. 

5. Try not to stress

This one is very difficult as we are constantly experiencing stress due to college or work; however, if you try to finish your work during the day, you will have time to do your favorite activity during the night and perhaps go to bed not thinking about your stressors. For most adults, this can be challenging but always practice mindfulness and try to think positively.

6. Keep your room clean

Personally, a clean environment helps me feel more accomplished and motivated. A clean room will also help you feel comfortable and it will not be adding to your stress. You can go to bed peacefully without having to be bothered by any mess, and your mornings will also be easier. 

7. Make a schedule

Set up a time where you know that you will go to sleep and wake up. Try to get between six to eight hours of sleep to feel fully rested. If you can, go to sleep early during the weekdays, and follow the same pattern for the weekends. If you follow a schedule, this will not only influence your sleep during the night but also your performance during the day. 

HI there! Paola is a senior at Wesley College who is majoring in English and minoring in Writing, and hopes to write for a living after college. Some of Paola's interests include writing, reading, watching horror and comedy films, traveling, and eating. Find her on Instagram as @_paolaap_!