Wellness

4 Apps to Make the New Semester a Little Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WesCo chapter.

With the first week of the new semester almost under our belt, teachers, and students, are settling in for the new year. It can be overwhelming, stressful, exciting, and everything at once, even if it’s your first college semester or your last.

Here are a couple of resources to make it just a little more bearable.

1. Smiling Mind

Ever wanted a meditation app that is completely free? Then Smiling Mind is the one for you. Launched in 2012 and based in Australia, Smiling Mind is a non-profit, and has meditation programs for all ages and every type of situation you can think of. About to study? You can do a 6-minute meditation to get in the headspace. Even need one for your daily commute, or one to help keep your New Year’s Resolution of digital detoxing? Smiling Mind’s got your back!

2. Fabulous

While this app is not completely free, you still have plenty of access to the app and its programs as a free user. Fabulous’s goal is to help people start implement daily habits.  As a free user you can also access live challenges. For example, this week’s challenge is to set aside 25 minutes for ‘Deep Work’ (studying with no interruptions) for five days in a row. In challenges you also have access to discussion boards to trade tips and stories with other users. This app has beautiful visuals, encouraging messages, and was awarded App Store’s 2018 in the Self-Care category.

So, what are you waiting for?

3. Sweatcoin

Ever wanted to earn money by just walking? Sweatcoin can do just that.

With every 1,000 steps equating to 1.00 SC (Sweatcoin), this app is a no-brainer.

By converting steps into their own currency, you can buy fitness programs, donate to charities, and if you garner enough points you could even dine at the Eiffel Tower. So, what are you waiting for? Sign up now!

4. Plant Nanny

Having trouble drinking enough water? Do you also like cute little plants? This app was made for you.

Plant Nanny keeps track of how much water you drink, with tending a cute little plant in the process. But careful! If you don’t drink enough water your plant could die! So be kind to yourself and kind to your plant, and drink that water.

As a junior in college, these apps have helped me develop healthy habits, and definitely made semester’s more bearable. I hope they can do the same for you! 

Maddy Delaney is the Co-Correspondent for Her Campus at Wesleyan College. When she's not writing, she's hammock-ing, eating mozzarella sticks, or knitting. Yes, she is, in fact, an elderly woman named Edith in a college student's body.