This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Self-care. Seems like a simple concept, right? You, as an individual, are simply taking care of yourself. Self-care is probably close to one of the hardest commitments a university student can fulfill for themselves. Let’s face it, from syllabus week all the way to finals season, it feels like a whirlwind of hustling and bustling. The hectic distress feels like a brand new concept every term. Juggling our school lives and social lives already feels like quite a mission and then we’re also expected to fit self-care somewhere in the middle? I understand. Self-care is easily put on the backburner. We forget to do the little things that genuinely help our mental and physical state.

This isn’t just a little reminder to do a face mask and drink water. This is a reminder to remember to breathe, laugh, and enjoy the little things …even if that means saying no to a night out and rewatching the same seven seasons of Gilmore Girls while binging on m&ms. Remember to check in with yourself and make the changes you need.

“You can’t pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself first.” – Unknown

Don’t know where to start? Check out UWaterloo’s “Big List of Self-Care”!

Nikki Modi

Waterloo '21

Nikki Modi is currently in the process of completing her undergrad education at the University of Waterloo. Nikki has a strong passion for both her academic and athletic life. In her spare time, she loves to work with styling/designing textiles and fabrics and she loves to strength train. Her favourite Netflix shows to binge are Avatar: The Last Airbender, Selling Sunsets, and any crime documentary that is trending at the moment. Nikki even has a blog page on her instagram all about fashion inspiration and great places to visit in Toronto! Check it out @cestmoinikki :)
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!