This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

In a world where days are planned down to the minute and there’s always work to be done, it can be easy to neglect your own emotional wellbeing. This seems to be especially true in places like Seattle where the sky is often gray with clouds that cast dreariness down upon everything on the ground. Some people take extra days off from work and even school to focus on their mental health, but this is only a temporary fix. Just like maintaining your physical health requires a consistent regime of exercise and proper nutrition, your mental health needs daily attention. Here are some tips to bring a little more cheeriness to daily life.

Appreciate Your Surroundings

Your spirits can be lifted by the most overlooked details hiding in plain sight; things like the neatly pointed shape of the leaves on that bush, the fluid motion of a squirrel’s tail as it bounds across the path, and the way the sun dances on the surface of the water. This mindset of appreciating the little things happening around you may take some mental effort at first, but eventually it will become a habit. Though it sounds very cliché, it can really help lift your spirits; the saying “stop and smell the roses” exists for a reason!

Be Kind to Others

Sometimes, the thing you need to brighten your day is to brighten the days of others. This can take many forms, from smiling at people you happen to make eye contact with to paying for someone else’s lunch. After something as simple as holding the door open for someone, I get a small burst of satisfaction that leads to a positive attitude for the rest of the day.

Talk to a Friend

Humans are social animals, which means interactions with others are important whether you’re an extrovert or an introvert. Unfortunately, sometimes our busy lives pull our attention away from those we care about. It’s easy to get absorbed in your own bubble and accidentally ignore your friends and family, even if you share a home with them. A pleasant chat with someone close to you can help put you in a better mood. I have a friend I met way back in elementary school who I try to call every week.

These ideas are all relatively simple to integrate into your daily routine. I hope some people have found this to be a helpful reminder to slow down and take care of themselves on a regular basis. Have wonderful day and keep smiling!

Kristy Lee

Washington '20

Undergraduate at the University of Washington majoring in English and minoring in American Indian Studies.