This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Seasonal Depression is something that over half of American adults suffer with. The symptoms will start to come to the forefront during the fall and winter months and will typically last until the beginning of the spring season. There are rare occasions where it can be the opposite and these feelings of hopelessness and desperation are more prevalent in the summer months, but it is rare. Seasonal Affective Disorder typically happens because of the change in our internal clock because of our shorter daylight hours and less sunlight we get during this time of year. However, it’s becoming apparent that with the many added stressors of this year a lot more of us are going to start feeling especially down. 

These are feelings that I have struggled with for years and only a few years ago I discovered that this is something many others also deal with! It’s not easy to ask for help when it comes to dealing with the hardship that is SAD, even more so because it happens during what should be one of the “cheeriest” times of year. Visiting your doctor is always good to find treatments to partake in, but I know that for some it can be hard to get in to see a doctor or we simply feel nervous to go, so here are some simple remedies I have tried that I found help cope with these feelings that often feel like they’ll just never go away. 

Get outside

Often times when the cold and gloomy weather comes, we find it hard to want to be outside. I know for me I couldn’t wait to just get home and crawl into bed. You need to take advantage of the little bit of daylight we get every day – even if that’s just bundling up really quick and stepping outside for a few minutes to take a deep breath of the fresh winter air!

Aromatherapy

Essential oils can help the areas in our brain that are responsible for our moods, appetite and other things that are often hit hard when suffering with seasonal depression disorder. I enjoy using diffusers throughout the house, in my room or even in my car to create a comforting and loving scent that helps my mood. You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to your bath water to provide a lot more relaxation. 

Keep a set schedule

With the current pandemic and all other added stressors, it is even harder now than ever to stay with a schedule. I have found myself often staying up late and waking up even later which causes me to feel bad about myself. Making sure you try to keep your sleeping schedule as normal as possible and keep yourself semi busy! I find that keeping my planner up to date and blocking out the morning of the day to make a to do list is crucial and helps the rest of the day run smoother. 

Find something to look forward to! 

During these days it’s easy to want to just lay in bed all day and not do anything. Find something to get excited about every day! For me, I look forward to getting up every day and having my coffee! For you it could be getting to read your favorite book, do your favorite workout or simply cook your favorite meal – it’s important to find something that will help you want to get out of bed no matter how small it is!

At the end of that day if you feel like you are suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder and are struggling with coping with it, it is always best to seek medical advice. It is always important to know that your feelings are valid, and you should never feel ashamed of it. This is very common, and you are not at all alone in this fight. We need to become more comfortable in talking and educating others on Seasonal Depression Disorder and lessening the stigma that surrounds it.  

Sitlali Cortes

Washington '23

Sitlali is a third year student at the University of Washington and intended communications major! She's from Yakima, Washington and when she's not busy with school or work you'll find her with friends and family! She also enjoys reading and writing poetry and making playlists.