nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Stress-Relief Strategies Anyone Can Benefit From

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Whether you are living with a mental disorder or are trying to cope with the stress of day-to-day life, a good arsenal of relaxation strategies can make big impact for the better. Through my own struggles with panic attacks and anxiety disorders, I have been exposed to a many coping techniques that I feel are very helpful but somewhat underrated. The best strategy for your current situation depends greatly on the time, place, and nature of your stress. Taking this into account, I have included a variety of options so you’re all set for most any situation.

1) Scent-Infused Stress Balls

A simple but effective stress-reliever is the scent-infused stress ball. These can be purchased or you can make them yourself; I bought my favorite lavender-filled stress ball from a vendor at Pike Place Market. In addition to the physical release of tension allowed by normal stress balls, these ones release the calming scent of your choice as you squeeze and fidget with them. They are typically sealed spherical fabric pouches filled with dried flowers, herbs, and other plants.

2) Silly Putty

This option is great for those who are more prone to fidgeting as it is significantly more malleable than a stress ball. It’s squeezable, twistable, and stretchable and comes in plenty of fun colors. I’ve found Silly Putty very effective at helping me stave off panic attacks during lectures.

3) Sitting and Breathing

When I feel especially anxious or stressed, I have a hard time focusing on anything that’s going on around me. What helps me the most during times like these is just sitting down and focusing on breathing according to my normal pattern. As someone who has always found breathing exercises to make me feel worse, this helps me re-ground myself. It can also be nice to have someone you trust sit with you while you calm down. In lieu of physical company, you can call a friend for a chat instead.

4) Essential Oils

While essential oils may not have powerful healing properties that can cure any ailment, their scent can help you relax. They’re easy to use; just put a few drops in a diffuser or in a roller bottle with a base oil and you’re all set. You can buy oils individually or pre-mixed, of which I prefer the former so I can use a single scent or make my own blends. Diffusing oils is great for when you’re studying, reading, etc. in your room. The roller bottle option is good for on-the-go. Just roll some on your neck or the inside or your wrist and you’re all set.

5) Puzzles

Sometimes, you really just need a distraction from the ever accelerating pace of life. Take a break and work on a puzzle. Whether it’s a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle you’re working on at home, a 3D puzzle toy, or a puzzle game on your phone, puzzles provide a quick but very immersive escape from whatever is currently stressing you out.

6) Nature

There’s nothing I find more calming than going outside and appreciating nature. A mini hike, visit to the park, or just sitting outside in a place with lots of greenery can help you relax and step away from the daily grind. You can go somewhere familiar or grab a friend and do some exploring. Whether your trip outside lasts fifteen minutes or a whole weekend, you’ll come back feeling refreshed.

Kristy Lee

Washington '20

Undergraduate at the University of Washington majoring in English and minoring in American Indian Studies.