sandals sidewalk flowers
sandals sidewalk flowers
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

“Rolling Inwards,” and Learning How to “Lie Flat”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

A few years ago, I was introduced to the concept of “Nei Juan,” which literally translates to “rolling inwards.” Although its actual origin stems from a journal article about the Agricultural Involution of Indonesian rice cultivation (which criticizes how intensifying cultivation methods have only led to unnecessary complexity without producing significant political or technological change), I picture the phrase as a tornado: an irresistible gust that grasps you away; you “roll inwards” through the layers of wind and find yourself stuck in this abyss.

The phrase first gained traction when a student from China’s most prestigious university was found using his laptop whilst riding a bike—he was then crowned “the King of Nei Juan.” As one of the top 10 buzzwords on Weibo (Chinese Twitter) and a commonly used phrase among the younger generation, this phrase is an accumulation of the frustration and burnout felt by many as they trudge through the pointless rat race.

The fear of being “left behind” is constant as peer pressure looms. “To compete or to lose” becomes an unwilling dogma of many as it pushes students to unnecessary overcompensation. Rather than working for a certain goal or purpose, most are just being pushed by the force of “Nei Juan” to ensure that they are not losing what they already have. As this toxic cycle builds, standards are pushed to new heights, and the “average” no longer becomes an authentic reflection of a person’s abilities.

To combat this, the new phenomenon of “Tang Ping” has emerged. Preaching the opposite of “rolling inwards,” its literal translation of “lying flat” means being content with your own achievements and taking a break from competition and overworking.

It is common for one to pivot between the states of “rolling inwards” and “lying flat,” and I often find myself using these phrases as I go between slacking off and procrastinating to phases where I panic and fervently sign-up for clubs and activities that I feel “obligated” to do. This summer, I purposefully blocked out all three months for “nothing.” No internships, no classes, and no tasks that I felt pressured into doing. In an attempt to unlearn my inner “Asian parent,” I can finally experiment with new hobbies and activities and finally bathe in the luxury of “feeling bored” as no deadlines hang above me.

With the conclusion of the 2023 school year, close your Canvas tabs, touch some grass, and finally — “lie flat.”

Kelly Luo

Washington '26

Hi! I'm Kelly, an international first-year student at the UW from Shanghai, China! I love looking at social issues through pop culture, and in my free time, you can usually catch me eating Asian food or reading trashy web novels.