Wellness

Four Ways to Make Your Winter Quarter a Little More Bearable!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Winter quarter.

Arguably, the worst quarter of the year. Autumn is still warm, and pretty due to the changing of the seasons. You get to look forward to the holidays, and are one step closer to graduating. Autumn quarter is full of hope and promise. Spring is wonderful. You’ve made it through most of the year, and you only have a few more weeks to go. You can finally wear shorts outside. You are probably making plans on where you want to go and who you want to see when the year ends. Spring quarter is full of relief and excitement.

Winter, however, is not. It’s dark, it’s cold, and all your classes suck. There’s absolutely nothing to look forward to, and you’re broke because you just spent all your money on whatever holiday you celebrate in December. Winter quarter sucks a lot.

However, it doesn’t have to. Sure, the circumstances might not be great, but you can make them great for yourself. You don’t have to wallow in despair and wait for the ‘good times’ to come. Make this quarter your quarter. Here’s a few simple ways to make your next 10 weeks a little bit better.

New Year’s Resolutions

You know all those things that you swear you are going to do once the new year rolls around, and how it’s going to be different this time, but it never is? You give up a few days in, or you claim you’re just too busy, or whatnot. Well, how about actually sticking to them? Mostly everyone makes New Year’s resolutions, while the follow-through isn’t great, they made them for a reason. Obviously, there is something about the way you are currently living you are trying to change. Maybe you want to pick up reading again, or going to the gym, or focusing more on your studies. Whatever it is, try out actually sticking to it. Integrate it into your schedule, make yourself go buy whatever supplies you need or go to whatever place you need to. Actually commit yourself to your resolution, and you’ll have a little something to look forward to. Not only that, but you’ll sharpen your self control, and feel great about sticking to your resolution.

Hang out with your friends!

Obviously, it’s not like you aren’t hanging out with your friends. However, especially during the winter months, people tend to suffer from seasonal depression and loneliness. It makes sense too, due to how early it gets dark during the first few months of the year. Also, it’s cuffing season, so it’s pretty easy to see all these couples that look so happy and in love, and make you feel a little lonely if you don’t have someone to cuddle with during the cold. This is why friends are important! Say yes to more plans, make plans if you’re feeling blue and lonely, try new things with those you love! Spending time with people you enjoy always elevates your mood. Even if it’s as simple as studying together, or stopping by a dining hall to get some food, make sure to value your friends.

Give yourself something to look forward to!

Maybe you aren’t seeing the results you wanted to at the gym, or spending time with friends just isn’t cutting it. Maybe you need a little extra ‘oomph’ to get you where you really need to be. That’s okay, take matters into your own hands! Begin planning a trip to somewhere you really want to go for spring break. Missing your family? Pick a weekend where you can drive/fly back home. Favorite artist in town soon? Save up some cash and buy a ticket to their concert! Personally, having something to look forward too always makes my days go by better. Even if something goes wrong today, I know that there’s something better coming tomorrow, and that it’s all good.

Self Care

Lastly, just remember to take good care of yourself. Everyone always preaches about self care, and many might be tired of hearing it, but it is preached for a reason. It’s easy to fall into mental cycles that aren’t healthy, and to get frustrated and depressed about school, family, and life in general. So make sure that you take care of yourself. Read a book, Express your feelings by journaling,painting, or whatever outlet you like. Talk to people if you need to vent. If your feelings of sadness/anxiety/frustration are beginning to get out of hand or too much to handle, seek professional health. Life can’t be good if your brain isn’t. Remember to love who you are, and that it’s okay to be sad sometimes, but to always pick yourself up and take care.

There you have it, four ways to try and make your Winter quarter a little less unbearable. Don’t worry, you’ll get through it, we all will! Just remember not to sleepwalk through the quarter, and to make the most of what you have. 

Elizabeth Mugho

Washington '23

I'm a freshman at the University of Washington, with a passion for writing.