Campus Conversations: Amber Lee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

via Instagram

Year: Sophomore

Major: Business: marketing concentration

Hometown: Linden, Utah

Sign: Aries

You’re from Utah originally; what are the biggest differences between there and Seattle?

Utah and Seattle have been the perfect places for me in my different phases of life. Utah Valley is a quiet, outdoorsy suburbia, which was perfect for me when my entire world was piano lessons and tennis practice. There’s a sweetness in the safety there. But as I’ve grown into myself as an adult, Seattle has become my self-made home. Of course, while I love the glamour of the skyscrapers and the coffee shops, Seattle has also challenged me to question myself. I don’t think I had ever seen a burka in person before I came here. Putting myself into new situations forces me to consider which parts of myself I want to keep, and which parts need to evolve.

So as an out of state student, what drew you to UW?

The city.

In the business school – and especially in marketing – we talk a lot about “personal brand.” How would you describe yours?

That’s a tricky question, because people aren’t products that need to be sold. Not to be too obnoxious, but I think a personal brand boils down to how you manifest your values into actions. For me, that means sending handwritten letters to show the people I love that they are special to me. I practice yoga because I believe in nonviolence towards ourselves and others and clarity of mind. I go outside because I believe in taking your fear with you. That’s going to be different for everyone, and that’s what makes good branding unique.

You’re a certified yoga instructor and discovered a passion for it back in high school. What role does that play in your life now, in or out of the studio?

Yoga has totally shaped my personality and the way I think. I could totally see myself getting neurotic if I didn’t practice yoga. It’s helped me to gain perspective, see my life more clearly, and find my freakin’ zen. 

via Instagram

Sometimes no matter how much we hustle, life can still get crazy and overwhelming. Besides yoga, what helps keep you sane during the daily/weekly/neverending grind?

I try not to go so hard on my work that I don’t have enough energy to grab dinner or explore the city with friends. I believe in active playtime. It brings me back fresher and more inspired than a three hour Netflix binge.

Sometimes the hustle and grind all pay off though. What does being a #girlboss mean to you? (Shoutout to Sophia Amoruso)

A #girlboss is someone who defies the rules to carve their own path and make the most of their time on this weird planet, in this weird experience we call life.

What are the 3 biggest things you learned freshman year? If you could go back, what would you tell yourself back then?

1. Go on adventures, but take someone with you.

2. Give yourself credit for the person that you are. Sometimes, someone else is the problem.

3. Apply early. Apply often.

You leave to study abroad in Australia, halfway across the world, in just a few months. What inspired you?

I am constantly aware that I could be LIVING MORE LIFE, so when I got the opportunity to go down under, I took it!

As that gets closer, how are you feeling about it? Excited? Nervous? Both?

I feel like shopping for swimsuits!

In your four quarters here, do you have any favorite memories at UW?

One time, I stayed really late at my friend’s apartment in Capitol Hill, and we watched from the rooftop while the sun rose and all of downtown Seattle came to life. Then I took a bus home, showered, and immediately worked a ten hour day. You can have it all, as long as you have a good undereye concealer.

Rapid fire round! Favorite blog?

Man Repeller. I love Leandra Medine.

Favorite song?

Crazy by Aerosmith. Why did Steven Tyler have to go country? He belongs to rock! 

Favorite coffeeshop?

Chaco Canyon Cafe. 

Favorite spot to study on campus?

Mercer Grind.

Favorite quote?

“My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.” -Vladimir Nabokov

Hannah is a senior studying marketing and English at the University of Washington and is the Editor of the UW Her Campus chapter. She was also a Summer 2017 editorial intern for Her Campus Media. When not editing, writing, or pitching articles, she's probably at brunch.
Student at the University of Washington majoring in Business Administration. Lover of TV shows, night owl, and self-professed professional online window shopper. I have a strong interest towards gender studies, entrepreneurship, technology, and pop-culture. Am currently involved with Startup UW, Operation Smile, and ASUW Women's Action Commission.