Anxious for Finals? Coffee won’t Help, but We know what Will

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Finals week is one of the most stressful times of the year, and as two people with avid test taking anxiety, we understand how scary it is to stay motivated and confident with studying. After nine collective quarters at UW, we’ve compiled some tips and strategies for working through test anxiety and staying self-confident, so you can conquer those exams!

Alternate between subjects

It is daunting to devote 8 hours a day to ONE subject. We find it incredibly hard to stay motivated and productive if we’re counting down: “8 hours to go….6 hours to go….3 hours to go….”. Instead pace yourself so you don’t burn out. Do sociology readings for an hour, then go onto PracticeIt for an hour, then take a practice exam for math. Not only does alternating topics help, but segmenting each topic into individual tasks is helpful as well. As you complete, for example, one math practice exam, you feel productive and encouraged to continue onto the next task. Consider alternating between each subjects based on individual tasks (one math practice exam, two rounds of quizlet, one chapter of chemistry review) or time limits (one hour of reviewing notes for class one, one hour of watching panopto for class two, etc.)

Schedule topics to study in advance

Studying for something like math, physics, or CS (which often times cover 10+ topics in the course of a quarter) needs sufficient spacing. Choose to focus on one or two topics a day rather than dump a whole quarter of info on yourself whenever you sit down to study. Splitting a curriculum into individual units or topics also helps you identify and target areas that you need to study more compared to topics you already have a comprehensive understanding of, optimizing your study time and leading to efficiency. After you review individual units and target topics for improvement, finish your studies with a more comprehensive review with practice exams or try and make a one-page class visual study guide with all of the major concepts and relationships. 

Don’t be lazy, take that extra step 

This means taking the time to go to that one library that keeps you productive, or choosing to wake up at a reasonable time to get work done. Don’t get sucked in by the excess free time that seemingly accompanies finals week because there aren’t any classes. It’s easy to fall into the trap of watching television as a reward for studying or as a form of relaxation to gear up for studying. In reality, however, binge-watching will likely make you feel and stay unproductive. Rather limit your television to, for example, a thirty minute lunch break or YouTube video in between practice exams. By continually segmenting your time into academic and nonacademic activities, you will maintain the feeling that you’re crossing things off your checklist and are being productive. 

Schedule activities for after finals

Making plans with a friend for dinner the evening after a final structures in an academic break preceding your other finals and studying and also provides an opportunity to talk through your testing experience with someone, which can be a productive release in helping you transition from, for example, a chemistry to math mindset. It might provide a feeling of closure that allows you to mentally move on and accept that the first test is over and that thinking about your performance won’t impact the results. Longer term plans like a New Year’s Eve party or night out over winter break can also motivate you to study and be productive so when the party or activity comes around it feels like a reward for your hard work. 

Take care of yourself

Anxiety often times leads to a lack of appetite, insomnia, or depression. It is important to prioritize your physical health by eating and sleeping well. Try not to compromise on simple things like meals, showers, workouts, or chores. Simple things like doing laundry or cleaning your desk can also help keep you in a productive mindset without having to do mentally intensive tasks like math or CS studying. Self care includes mental well-being too, which means it’s okay to lean on your support network once in a while by spending time with friends and loved ones between studying. Schedule meals with friends to ensure you eat well and stay grounded by being social. Personal experience has shown that isolation increases anxious thoughts. Rather, talking out concerns with friends and just being in a public space is a helpful tool to stay grounded and not overwhelmed.

Trust yourself!

As two people with severe test anxiety, we know how easy it is to overthink and constantly worry about having prepared well enough. Even after 20+ hours of studying, I can feel scared and can choke during exams. But you know if you’ve put in enough time and energy into studying. Try your best to relieve test anxiety, and trust that you’ve prepared well! Don’t take finals too seriously. It’s easy to emphasize final exams’ literal significance for your grade, but try to think in the greater scheme of things. How many individual tests do you remember from high school? Did any of them make or break your chances at graduation? Even if a final exam is important for your grade, and I know that is often the case in classes with only a few graded items, try and remember that there are hundreds of other students in the same boat as you and try and enjoy the highs and lows of your college experience. 

Good luck with finals, everyone! You’re going to do a great job <3

Amelia Nathan

Washington '22

My name is Amelia and I am studying Comparative History of Ideas and Math at the University of Washington. I was born in California but love my home in Washington and when I'm not writing, I love hiking, painting with watercolor and alcohol inks, and watching crime shows!
Rohini Mettu

Washington '22

My name is Rohini Mettu, and I'm a self-taught, aspiring photographer and graphic designer in the Pacific Northwest. I love my hometown of Seattle, but I also love traveling the world and meeting new people! My other hobbies include painting, dancing, and binge watching Friends and the Office :)