This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Midterm season has finally passed. Now that we are officially halfway through the school year, many of us have fallen into the monotonous routine of sleeping in and skipping classes. Having just finished my last midterm a few hours ago, here are some things I will be doing to reset from these tiring weeks. 

• Tidying my room: When dealing with the crazy midterm schedule, my room usually turns into a complete mess without me even realizing it. Even spending five minutes tidying up my room makes a huge difference.
  • Washing my sheets: There is no better feeling than freshly washed sheets. I think a great way to reset is to wash my bedsheets and use a pillow spray. I have been using a lavender pillow mist before bed to help me catch up on all the sleep I’ve lost.
  • Aromatherapy: Lighting a candle or getting a diffuser is another great way to reset. When I need to unwind after a stressful day, I love putting some eucalyptus essential oil into my diffuser. 
  • Reaching out to family and friends: When I get super busy, I’ll stop contacting people I do not see daily. Picking up the phone and calling my parents or long-distance friends makes me immediately feel better. 
  • Making a home-cooked meal: After many frozen meals and ramen noodles during midterm week, a home-cooked meal makes all the difference. I like to experiment with new recipes and cuisines; just yesterday, my roommates and I cooked a Tikki Masala, and surprisingly, it turned out okay. 
  • Getting Away From Screens: Recently, my roommates and I have been trying to limit our screen use, so instead, we have been picking up new hobbies. These activities include puzzles, card games, and coloring books. While these activities may sound fitting for elderly women, they are a great way to quiet the mind.
  • Making Time for Hobbies: Personally, I don’t read as much when I am cramming for midterms, but when resetting, I try and prioritize it. Other activities I am trying to focus on now that midterms are over include baking, crocheting, and painting. 
  • Treating Myself:  I am a firm believer in retail therapy to spice up my routine. It could be a new plant, clothes, or a book. It is nice to treat yourself to something new.
  • Rotting in bed:  Sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. Burnout usually signifies that we need a break, so take some time to relax. 
Anjali Schatzer

Washington '25

Anjali is a junior at University of Washington studying informatics. She is passionate about technology and sciences, but enjoys writing as a hobby.