Kristen Bryant-Girl Lounging Relax Logo 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness

What I Learned From Listening to My Body for A Week 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

My goal when I came to college was simple: to become the very best version of myself I could be. These are arguably the most formative years of our lives in terms of who we turn out to be as adults, and while finding a career I’m passionate about, making connections, and expanding my worldview are  huge parts of what I’m looking to get out of my four years, growing in health, mindfulness, and my relationship with myself are equally important in this goal of personal development. If I’m really going to commit myself toward these goals, however, I need to follow the same steps as I would if I were working toward academic success: make a plan, check in with your goals on a regular basis, and gradually work toward them until they become part of your lifestyle. 

I vowed to sacrifice my mind to my body, to ( to a reasonable extent) listen to what it wanted and needed even if it meant sacrificing routine, comfort, or sometimes reason. 

I ate when I was hungry, and didn’t when I wasn’t. I skipped the gym when I felt my body needed the rest more. I stretched every day because I noticed tension in my back. I woke up 30 minutes earlier because my brain feels non-functional during most of my first classes. When I felt fatigued and down for a few days, I stopped and asked myself why, turned inward, and worked through the problem. And here’s what I found. 

1. Food became Fuel. Simply eating when I was hungry and not reaching for a snack when I wasn’t began to change my relationship with food. It’s what my body needs, not what I want. I began to crave clean foods and lost nearly all cravings for heavy, cheesy, or artificial foods. I was hungry less often than I thought I would be, because I was satisfying myself when I needed it and not fantasizing about my next meal. I felt more confident, because I was happy with my choices after each meal and didn’t loathe myself for reaching for something sweet or savory if that’s what my body was craving. I felt nourished, energetic, and in tune with my body. 

2. I carried less stress. By taking away the pressure I typically put on myself to work out every day and listening to what my body needed, I ended up getting some much needed rest and incorporating stretching into my daily routine. Let me tell you, this was a game changer. Not only was the tension and pain I usually carry around in my shoulders nearly nonexistent by the end of the week, but I was getting better sleep and waking up less stiff and more relaxed. On top of that, I started to look forward to that 15 minutes of stretching as a way to clear my head and process my thoughts before bed, and fell asleep quicker, whether it was because my body was relaxed or I didn’t have those thoughts to process while I was trying to drift off. 

3. I did better in class. Noticing that my body and brain need more time to wake up and reach a functioning level for my 9am led me to extend my morning routine with simple things like drinking my coffee at my desk rather than taking it on the go. By the time I got to class, I was more alert and receptive, participated more, and ended up improving my scores on the dreaded “daily check ins” at the beginning of each spanish class. 

4. I solved my problems. Early in the week, I was feeling fatigued, down, and just in a sort of funk. But rather than getting frustrated or looking for external causes, I turned inward for answers (tip: the shower is the perfect place to do this), found the problem was rooted in my own attitudes, and was able to shift my mindset and turn my week around. Taking the time to listen to what my body was telling me and spend time with my own thoughts forced me to confront my problems and work through them internally, and lifted a weight off my shoulders.

In conclusion: Your body knows what’s up. It’s talking to you. Listen to it, and you’ll see the effects in the most unexpected aspects of your life.

Kylie Yorke

Wake Forest '23

I'm a freshman from Redondo Beach, California planning on majoring in psychology, but pursuing interests in graphic design, philosophy, and neuroscience. I love to spend time outdoors whether it's thrill-seeking or just relaxing, and I love to draw, be around people (and dogs), and play ukulele.
Claire Fletcher

Wake Forest '20

Mathematical Business Major at Wake Forest University