Wellness

New Year, New Me: Realistic Resolutions for a Fantastic Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

The beginning of a new year is a time of self-made promises and resolutions that are bound to lose significance by the first of February. How do we make these resolutions last, so we can truly make the best of the new year? This is the prominent question on all of our minds during this time. Over the years, I’ve discovered that the real key to making resolutions stick is to make them easy to initiate. Here are some realistic twists on common resolutions that will help them last all year long.

One of the most common resolutions is to get into shape. This usually manifests itself in a week of intense workouts, which eventually drops off into the same old habits of one trip to the gym per month. To remain consistent, be a little less ambitious. Start with one workout every Monday, and ramp things up as the year goes on.

The concern with health translates into eating habits as well. Some individuals may be tempted to try out the newest extreme diet when the new year rolls around. However, these fad diets deprive us of the food we love the most, usually causing us to ditch the difficult diet and revert back to the way things have always been. Instead, try to choose healthier options meal by meal, and see where this takes you.

While these physical health resolutions are important, they are quantitative, concrete, and if approached well, can be easy to complete. Resolutions that are centered around mental health, mindset, and attitudes are more difficult to track but just as important. Finding a realistic way to follow through with resolutions that fall into this category is key to making them last. One method that has worked well for me is journaling. For example, let’s say in 2019, I want to be more positive. If I journal about my daily interactions and feelings, I can easily reflect on my outlook, which allows me to see instances in which I could have been more positive. Finding a method like this can remind us of our more abstract resolutions and allow us to see the impact they may or may not be making.

At the end of the day, everyone knows one thing to be true: resolutions are tough to keep, no matter who you are. I think this stems from a misunderstanding of what resolutions are. Resolutions are end goals, but too many people expect them to immediately take effect. This year view your resolutions as realistic processes rather than magical immediate changes, and you will finally see the difference you expected by the time next January rolls around. 

Ryley Bright

Wake Forest '21

Hello Demon Deacons! My name is Ryley Bright, and I am a current sophomore from Houston, Texas. I plan on majoring in Politics and International Affairs with a double minor in Journalism and Psychology! Some things that I am involved with here at Wake include Ambassadors in Admissions, Student Advising and (last but definitely not least) Her Campus! I am also a member of Kappa Beta Gamma, and in my free time I enjoy catching up on the news, watching Netflix, and taking short, but scenic runs around campus!
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.