This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Virginia Tech chapter.

Winter Break has come to a quick end, and now spring semester has rolled around. Time to put the fall semester behind us, and get readjusted to the Blacksburg environment, as well as our new schedules. Despite the frenzy of finding classrooms and buying textbooks, the feeling of a new semester is still refreshing and enlightening. It’s an opportunity to make a new, fresh start, and learn from the mistakes you made in the previous semester, as well as take part in activities you didn’t — just a new chance to open yourself up. Here are some tips to starting the spring semester off on a good start:

Make New Friends

Though this seems daunting because everyone has already settled into their friend groups, it never hurts to put yourself out there and make new friends. Each semester provides several chances for new friendships as you will always meet different people in all of your classes. Not to mention it helps for studying and homework. Stay open to meeting new people, rather than limiting yourself to the same few friends.

Work Ahead

Seems simple enough, but it will definitely be worth it in the long run. Trying to finish homework ahead of time, and reading ahead is so beneficial. The biggest lesson I learned from my first semester is to space my work out and not leave everything to the last minute. If you ever have excess free time, use it to do some work. There were times when I would tell myself I should probably do this assignment now, but then got lazy and didn’t, and later regretted it.

Try New Things

As I mentioned before, spring semester is another opportunity to basically start over. Everything resets, and you have another five months of making new experiences. It’s a chance to explore and do the things you never got a chance to. If you still haven’t seen all of downtown, you have so much time to go out and do that. Now that you have a solid group of friends and a general knowledge about the Blacksburg and Christiansburg area, it makes it so much easier to go out and explore, whether you want to go out and eat, take a hike on several of the nearby trails, or go to the movies or New River Valley Mall. Trying new things will provide you with so many memories to look back on.

Image Sources: 1/2/3

Proud to be Virginia Tech's Her Campus chapter!