Wellness

Why It’s Important to Start Eating Heart-Healthy Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

I recently decided to enroll in a Biology of Cancer course this semester as a way to challenge myself as a Biology major. The first lecture was, as expected, an introduction to the disease. My professor discussed several types of cancers and their survival rates. One thing he mentioned that stood out to me during the lecture was how cancer and heart disease are the leading causes of death in the United States. I always knew that heart disease was a deadly disease, but I was not aware of the fact that 1 in every 4 deaths were the result of heart disease. As an aspiring scientist, I was compelled to do some research. I was curious—can we do something to lower the statistics involved with heart disease? Does it significantly impact women? Are there habits as college students that we do that can impact our overall heart health? 

My mind was filled with questions and not enough answers because there are various forms of heart disease, and symptoms also differ for each and every individual. I came across an article from Mayo Clinic that discussed how adding heart-healthy foods into our everyday diet could significantly reduce our chances of heart disease. The author claimed that whole grains, vegetables and fruits are all forms of heart-healthy foods that would regulate heart health. Whole grains, such as quinoa or barley, help normalize blood pressure as they are natural sources of potassium. Fruits and vegetables have also been known to prevent cardiovascular disease due to how rich they are in dietary fiber. 

Bowl of chia seed pudding topped with fruit
Photo by Jannis Brandt from Unsplash

As college students, we may think that we do not have to worry about heart disease until a much later age. However, the habits we develop in our adolescence have been proven to carry out into adulthood. Consuming foods with high fat or high glycemic index over a regular basis can form plaque within our arteries, making it difficult for blood to flow. This is also called Atherosclerosis and it can lead to other severe forms of heart disease such as coronary artery disease or angina. Therefore, I believe that even though we are at a young age in life and have plenty of time to alter our lifestyle, it is important that we start as soon as possible to prevent any serious health issues. This can be done with the smallest changes such as incorporating a fruit as a part of our snack for the day, substituting wheat pasta for regular pasta or having sweet potato fries instead of normal french fries. 

With this being said, do not completely avoid your favorite foods and drinks and force yourself to adapt to a strict diet. It is totally normal to drink coffee, have a cheeseburger or indulge in your favorite flavor of ice cream when you have cravings. Carbohydrates and fat are essential nutrients as well. There is no need to boycott foods that provide you with your daily dose of serotonin. We just have to be mindful of how often we are consuming such foods, so we do not risk any health complications because the habits we make right now tend to accompany us throughout life.

Rea is a senior majoring in Biological Sciences on the Pre-Medicine track at VCU! Her favorite things include binge watching Netflix, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family! She is an advocate for women's health with hopes of becoming a physician in the future.
VCU Contributor Account