The Stages of Going to Your First HIIT Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It doesn’t have to be New Year’s for you to feel inspired to get in shape or just simply exercise one day. If you’re feeling extra motivated, you might even sign up for a group exercise class like HIIT, or high-intensity interval training — a technique in which you do intense bursts of exercise followed by short recovery periods. Here are the stages of going to your first HIIT class:

6:45 p.m.: Anxiously anticipating the worst but hoping for the best

It can be intimidating to walk into a room full of toned men and women that have seemingly taken this class before. Despite this, you signed up for the class hopefully because at least a small part of you wanted to take a step towards a healthier you or have fun trying. HIIT sounds challenging. It most likely will be, but you hope you’re not as out of shape as you thought.

6:50 p.m.: Overly presumptuous, feeling like your 13-year-old self who ran the mile under eight minutes

You’re powering through with moderate difficulty and ample confidence, saying to yourself, “This isn’t as bad as I thought it would be.” You’re feeling the burn without feeling like you’re being burned alive.

7:00 p.m.: Pure shock

Complete bewilderment engulfs you as energy rapidly diminishes and breath seems non-existent. You may have trouble understanding why you originally decided to sign up for this class and how you will possibly survive through the remaining half hour with no legs.

7:15 p.m.: Abort

At this point, it may seem as if there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You begin searching for the nearest exit, hoping desperately that it is in the back of the class so that not a soul is able to see you crawl out the door in pure agony.

7:25 p.m.: Irritated and frustrated with the instructor for not putting an end to your misery at 7:00 p.m.

This is just annoying. You might begin to slack off and neglect proper form. It may even seem as if the instructor no longer cares about your physical well-being and therefore, must have some type of vendetta against you. You’re simply going through the motions because that is better than ending up on someone’s Snapchat with the caption, “she couldn’t hang.”

7:30 p.m.: It could have been worse but definitely could have been better. Uncertain as to whether or not you’ll be back.

That actually was as miserable as you assumed it would have been. There is probably a 50/50 chance you’ll go back, but you’re probably proud of yourself for not quitting and taking steps toward your goal.

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

She is black, but she is not bitter. She is stern, but she is not rigid. She is tolerant, but she is not weak-minded. She is powerful, but she is not intimidating. She is wise but she is not all-knowing. She is spiritual, but she is not divine. She is analytical, but she is not uninspired. She is female, but she cannot be muted. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!