This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Over the course of this past year, my love and commitment to the gym has become super important and enjoyable to me. It did not always start out that way of course. I danced competitively beginning in middle school until graduating high school, so for as long as I remember that was my form of activity. Coming to college and no longer dancing, I didn’t really have a grip on my physical health. I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted! I’ve never been one for scales and intense weight measure so I don’t have an exact number on the weight I gained freshman year but it was evident to those that knew me before, and that frustrated me. After dealing with this and altering my diet back to what I’m used to eating back at home, I already noticed differences in my appearance. But it wasn’t enough for me. I slowly began to set goals for myself, what I wanted my body to look like, not focusing so much on weight but my strength and how I wanted to look for myself. My body in a year alone has developed in ways I didn’t even think could happen and with that, here’s a little glimpse at my daily workout plan Monday-Friday! These workouts are self-made mostly with some inspiration from my gym buddies.

Monday:

I always allow myself to ease lightly back in the week with a good stretch before and after + a light leg and ab workout.

Warm-Up:

Walk/Jog on treadmill for 10 minutes. I incline it to 10.0 when walking and 2.0 when jogging! Jog with a speed range of 5.8-6.4 and then walk with a speed range of 3.4-3.6 to feel it more in the core with the incline.

Legs:

• Leg Press: 3 sets of 12, increase weight each set by however much you are comfortable with.
  • Dead lifts: 3 sets of 10, increase weight each set by however much you are comfortable with.
  • Alternating lunges standing in place, with dumbbells. Do this for 30 seconds, 2 sets.
  • Cross-back lunges. Do this for 50 seconds.
  • Lateral dumbbell lunges. 2 sets, 40 seconds each.

Abs:

• Russian Twists with Medicine ball. 50 seconds each, 2 sets.
  • Plank: 2 minutes.
  • Low boat holds: 2 minutes.
  • Kneeling Medicine ball lift: 30 seconds, each side.

Tuesday:

After a light but effective workout on Monday, I take Tuesday as my cardio and arm day! Lots and lots of cardio!

Warm-up:

20 minutes of cardio of whatever you choose. I tend to either do sprints on the treadmill with minimal walking in between or the stair climbers.

Arms:

• Front Raises with dumbbells. 20 seconds.
  • Lateral Raises with dumbbells. 30 seconds.
  • Bent over fly’s. 30 seconds.
  • Do this set twice

• Hammer Curls: 12 reps
  • Bicep Curls to overhead press: 12 reps
  • Dips on Bench: 10 reps
  • Overhead triceps extensions: 10 reps

Cardio:

• Wide-legged burpees: 10 reps (2 times)
  • Squat Jumps: 30 seconds (2 times)
  • Jumping jacks or Jump Rope: 30 seconds

Wednesday: Rest Day.

Thursday:

It’s BOOTY DAY.

Warm-Up:

BOOTY:

• Squats using squat rack: Reps of 15, 12, 10 and 8. Each time the rep decreases, increase the weight by a little!
  • Alternating lunges in place with dumbbells. Try and increase the dumbbell weight a little from Monday’s weight!
  • Hip Thrust with the squat assist machine. You can also do these with a weighted plate on a mat! 3 sets of 15.
  • Leg Press: 4 sets of 12, increase weight each set.
  • Donkey and straight leg kicks with cables: 2 sets of 12 donkey, 2 sets of 12 straight.
  • Wide legged squat with 30+ dumbbell to finish.

Friday:

This day is only cardio and abs! Try and time this workout for at least an hour. I recommend 30 minutes total of cardio whether that is using a machine or incorporating HIIT, and 20 minutes to really focus on abs followed by a deep stretch.

Some quick ab ideas:

• Traditional Crunches/Crunch variations
  • Russian Twists (using a medicine ball or dumbbell)
  • Planks (Traditional and/or side)
  • Push-ups
  • Hip Lifts
  • Boat to low boat
  • Low boat hold
  • Pendulum legs
  • Mountain Climbers

It’s important to really find the workouts that work for your body and the goals and that takes time to determine! Just remember, you are capable of anything you set your mind too! Hopefully my workout will either work great for you or allow you to explore with other options to create your own routine.

P.S. – don’t forget to stretch before and after your workout and hydrate constantly throughout!

All photos by author 

Aja is a Junior at VCU studying Political Science. She loves going to brunch, working out, healthy eating and is overly obessed with the Kardashians & her three dogs (Cooper, Bentley and Lulu). You can follow her on Instagram @ajaerinmo!
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!