stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Tackle “Me Time”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Everyone needs “me time” and it is so important, especially if you think you do not have time for it. Taking time out of your day (or at least sometime during the week) can really help your mental/physical health! Having time to yourself and doing something that relaxes your mind and body is crucial after long days, or even if you just want to enjoy a night in!

What is “me time” anyway? It can be anything that you do for mental or physical self-care and, depending on the person, there are different ways to tackle this. Here are some ideas of things that you can do to spend your personal time catching up with yourself:

Depending on what interests you, different “me time” options can be useful to get your mind at peace. Active methods, such as going on a run or just going to the gym, can help clear your mind while your body is at work. Yoga and meditation are a bit more relaxed and are so self-paced that it’s easy to go for an hour if you’re really into it. Not concentrating on what happened during the day, as well as not thinking about tomorrow’s tasks, can bring on a new energy that may give yourself the boost you need!

For a more creative outlook, you can conquer DIYs, play music, write in a journal or even give your room a makeover! There are several hobbies that can keep your mind in check by giving yourself a break from work or school overload. Doing small crafts or other activities can make you feel good because there’s no one judging your the different things you make alone in your room since they are just for you!

Listening to music or watching a movie can also be a great “me time” option – especially while you enjoying your favorite snack! Entertaining yourself through watching or listening to music or videos while you apply face masks or do your nails allows for self-care, and then you feel so refreshed with your new look and beautiful skin!

Whatever your “me time” looks like, it should not take too much planning. As long as you know what activity can help you relax at the moment, you are well on your way to having the best “me time” ever.  Just have fun with it!

Although “me time” can come at any time, it is very effective if you have a regularly scheduled time that you dedicate to it. The routine will help you look forward to it, but most importantly, it will turn your occasional fun into a habit so you don’t just put it off for another day.

Remember to always take care of yourself because your mental and physical health are the most important thing!

Photo credits: Cover by Chelsea Schmidt, 1, 2

Nat is a junior majoring in Criminal Justice and Homeland Security at Virginia Commonwealth University who treats every opportunity as a new chapter. All her chapters are filled with music, travels, Pinterest, and pics of friends laughing so hard they snort. She loves meeting new people and hearing new stories because she believes everyone has one. She aspires to influence those around her as well as just making people smile.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!