8 Easy, Healthy Recipes You Should Try Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It is so hard to find healthy recipes that are still yummy without sacrificing that sweet tooth craving. It seems like all the recipes have a bunch of random ingredients you don’t have and don’t want to spend money on. Here’s a list of healthy snack recipes I have approved as being easy, flavorful and simple enough to include basic ingredients you can use for other things on a daily basis. They all include pictures and steps on how to do them, which is important for me when picking a recipe online. Each of these recipes are healthy on their own, but with a kind-of-sorta-guilty-but-not-really-twist. Check them out and don’t be afraid to try a recipe!

1. Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds

Almonds are a super nutritious tree nut. They are high in monounsaturated fats, fiber and protein. Monounsaturated fats are different than saturated fats, in which they help lower cholesterol levels when you eat them. They can also reduce the risk of heart disease because they can improve your cholesterol level. So get nutty.

2. Peanut Butter Banana Quesadillas

The whole grain tortilla in this snack is great for keeping you full. They are better than white tortillas because they have more nutrients in them. White flower tortillas are stripped of nutrients like iron, folic acid and fiber. A few nutrients are then put back into the white tortilla, but it isn’t the same. It’s kind of like the whole brown rice and white rice thing.

3. Chocolate Dipped Almond Butter Banana Bites 

Bananas are very healthy and delicious. They have so many essential nutrients in them like fiber, potassium and Vitamin B6 to name a few. They also have nutrients that can help moderate blood sugar levels after eating a meal. They’re great after a workout.

4. Healthy Homemade Mango Fruit Roll-Ups

Mangos are one of the best fruits, and they can prevent cancer. Research has shown that antioxidant compounds in mangos can protect the body against leukemia and breast, colon and prostate cancers.

5. Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas

Dark chocolate is actually healthy for you! It is packed with antioxidants that can help improve health and lower the risk of heart disease. When choosing a healthy chocolate, try to get 70 percent cocoa and higher. It’s a little bitter at first, but it still puts me in a chocolatey heaven eventually. At least it’s packed with fiber, iron, magnesium, copper, manganese, potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium, right?

6. Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

Everyone has heard that an “apple a day keeps the doctor away.” We all know apples are healthy. This may be because they prevent dementia, reduce your risk of stroke, lower bad levels of cholesterol, reduce your risk of diabetes, ward off breast cancer and help with obesity. They have also shown to improve neurological health, according to a 2006 study published in the journal Experimental Biology and Medicine.

7. Peanut Butter Oat Squares

Oats are one of the healthiest grains available. They are super versatile and can improve weight loss, reduce the risk of heart disease and lower blood sugar levels. Oats also happen to be gluten-free. They are a great source of good carbohydrates and fiber. They even have the powerful fiber, beta-glucan. Beta-glucans are sugars that are found in the cell walls of oats. They are sometimes used as medicine to treat high cholesterol, diabetes, cancer and HIV/AIDS.

8. Apple Slice Cookies

Peanut butter is packed with protein and healthy oils that help with weight loss. Whenever I eat peanut butter on anything, I always feel full afterwards for a long time. Studies have also found that peanuts lowered the risk of cardiovascular and coronary heart disease. Peanut butter may also lower the risk of colon cancer in women, helps protect against Alzheimer’s disease and memory impairment.

Image 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8cover photo

Jasmine Medrano-Guevara is a senior studying print and online journalism at Virginia Commonwealth University. She enjoys laughing at corny jokes, trying new recipes on Pinterest, makeup and writing reviews on Yelp. Jasmine hopes to work for a women's magazine after college. You can follow her on Instagram @jasminemedrano_ !
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!