4 Types of Self Care You Can Practice Daily

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

One great thing about our social climate right now is that many people seem to be speaking up on “social taboos” that have been ignored and shoved under the table for so many generations. Tabooed topics like sex, gender fluidity, sexual orientation, mental health and much more are finally starting to be addressed and accepted. An important one of these topics is mental health. People with mental health issues like anxiety, depression or others are speaking on the importance of self-care and proper mental health care.

Self-care goes beyond face masks and bubble baths. While those things can be awesome (who doesn’t love a good Lush bath bomb?), they are just one form of self-care. The following are a few different types of self-care that you can implement into your life to help bring out the best you. They all will aid in looking after your mind, body, relationships and every aspect of your life.

1. Environmental Care

The space around you matters. It affects you and your spirit. So, it is important to care for the spaces in which you exist and make sure the environment you’re in is a healthy one. This kind of self-care can range from opening a window to let natural light in to cleaning your room or even to thinking big picture and cleaning up your local river banks of trash and litter.

2. Physical Care

Your body and mind are connected. They work in tandem. If you are trying to take care of your mind, you have to also care for your body. If you feel unmotivated or slow on bad mental health days, physical activity and healthy eating can be a really helpful and productive aid. So, hit the gym, slap on a face mask, eat a salad with your cake and do whatever else makes your body feel good.

3. Social Care

Social care is all about balance. Learning to say no to social activities when you are too busy or need the time alone, but also balancing that with maintaining a social life that is interesting and fulfilling to you is important. Having a night with friends and loved ones can be as important and healing as a night alone with a glass of wine. The people with which you surround yourself make a difference as well. Removing negative people from your life and being open and honest with the people who care about you are important forms of self-care. Community is important.

4. Mental Care

Caring for your mind is essential. Activities like journaling and meditation help you to stay in tuned to your emotions and feelings so you can process things in a healthy and productive way. Shutting out communication with yourself will only lead to increased stress. Activities like reading and learning help keep your mind sharp and engaged. These activities can help pull you out of a mental fog if you ever feel sluggish or unmotivated on bad mental health days.

Self-care means something different for everyone. And these are just a few examples and types of self-care and I am by no means a professional. So, find what works for your needs and brings you happiness!

photo credit: Cover photo

Katie, a Senior at VCU, is majoring in International Studies focused in European studies and is minoring in both Spanish and Writing. She credits all success and sanity to dry shampoo, The Arctic Monkeys, and chocolate. Her favorite things include argumentative essays, pitbull puppies (or really any puppy), and spring. Katie hopes to one day get paid to travel the world and write.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!