This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

The end of the semester is usually the roughest part of any college experience. You have 13 finals, 22 deadlines and you’ve slept a total of zero hours the entire week. It’s honestly the worst time of the year.

With all this stress, it is now more important than ever to practice good self-care. Stress can be extremely detrimental to your health, leading to complications such as headaches, upset stomach and possibly heart problems. Not to mention the awful effects that it can have on your mental wellbeing.

Honey, there’s no class, assignment or test that is worth violating your physical or mental health. So if this semester is thoroughly kicking your a*s, then hopefully these tips will help you remain sane.

1. Take a Walk

If the weather permits it and the pollen levels are kind, then take a minute to enjoy the things that springtime has to offer. Briskly walking 20 to 30 minutes a day can reduce stress hormones and alleviate mild depression.  Getting great weather and some cardio, nice!

2. Scheduling Out Break Time

If you wait for the break time to come, it’s never going to come in my opinion. Amongst the hard deadlines you have for your assignments, remember to schedule in some mandatory break time for yourself. Whenever I try to wait for a spare moment for myself, I end up going the whole day without taking a break.  Use Google calendar alarm or set up a specific time of the day that is dedicated just to you relaxing. Whether it’s 15 minutes, 30 minutes or an hour, take that time to do something that’s just for you. 

3. Take Time to Celebrate Your Victories 

Sometimes, just taking time to focus on the positives can really put your mind in an entirely new perspective. Getting so hung up on your failures or your mistakes can make it harder for you to jump up and recover. Instead of focusing on that C you got on your final, how about reminiscing on the A you got on the project in your other class. Learning from your mistakes is important, but celebrating your successes is just as important. 

Photo Credits 1,2, 3

Arianna Coghill is a Print and Online Journalism major in her junior year at Virginia Commonwealth University. She's a huge fan of Tracee Ellis Ross, the Harry Potter series and thinly veiling her insecurities under a layer of sarcasm. She misses the oxford comma dearly and can usually be found writing and/ or binge watching various sci-fi television shows. #blacklivesmatter
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!