#LoveYourBody: What Do You See When You Look in the Mirror?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

In a society where worth relies heavily on the standard of outer beauty, many women see their bodies as a sole reflection of who they are. This facile reality gives women who are truly beautiful on the inside a feeling of incompetency to women who are plastered on billboards for their sex appeal.

What we often fail to realize is that only 5% of women naturally possess the body type we see portrayed in the media. The women we envy in magazines are photoshopped and airbrushed. And while some work hard for the bodies they love, others manipulate their bodies in unnatural ways to feel wanted by society. 

Approximately 91% of women are unhappy with their bodies. Why is it that our bodies mean so much to us?

In actuality, they should mean a lot to us. Your body is your temple; it’s where your smile is, where your eyes glisten. It’s how you walk, talk and breathe. Most importantly, it’s what you live in. 

The #LoveYourBody campaign is designed to encourage and inspire women of all shapes, colors and sizes to take pride in what God gave them. Find something you love about yourself and own it. Emphasize what makes you unique. Take care of your body physically and be kind to yourself emotionally. 

With all of this in mind, always remember that who you are is defined by how you treat others, as well as how you treat yourself. Your personality makes you special; it’s something no one else will ever be able to duplicate. Your body is beautiful, and so are you.

Love your body. Love yourself.

President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Valdosta State, and a Mass Media major. Loves spaghetti and is currently waiting for someone to teach her how to play her guitar. Never meets a stranger. Hi :)