This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Seasonal Affective Disorder is defined as a form of depression that is seasonal, typically during the fall and winter months. Also known as SAD, the symptoms are similar to depression as they can interfere with daily functioning. It has been linked to a biochemical imbalance that initiates from the shortening of daylight hours with less sunlight (Psychiatry). Common symptoms are experiencing constant sadness, a loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed, changes in appetite and sleep, and even thoughts of death or suicide. If you are experiencing severe symptoms, especially suicidal thoughts, it is best to reach out to a professional. However, there are some steps that you can take before leading to a professional that could help you manage or improve your seasonal depression.

Keep the Lights On

This may seem simple, but when it comes to depression, the simplest things, like getting up, can become the hardest things to do. Since the lack of sunlight has been linked to seasonal depression, creating your own light and brightening your living environment can make the world of a difference. Try to avoid being completely in the dark, as this will only plunge you deeper into your depression. Light will indicate to your body that it needs to be up and active, rather than the dark indicating that it is time to rest and slow down. You could add some atmospheric lighting to your room by using colored LED lights or candles as well.

Stay in Touch with Friends

During this time of struggle, it may seem as if it’s best to isolate yourself away from your social circle. Try your best to stay in touch with your friends because they might be going through the same thing as you, and your real friends will help you with your struggles. Depression isn’t something that everybody can handle on their own. Don’t feel ashamed if you need to reach out to a friend to vent or to just be with. Also, be honest with them as much as you can rather than hiding your true feelings and needs. If you just need a night in, tell them that! Don’t let them bring you to a party you never wanted to go to just because you didn’t want to be a downer. There are plenty of other parties you can attend when you’re in a better state of mind.

Reward Yourself

It’s the little things in life that truly matter. Waking up in the morning, getting out of bed, opening your curtains for sunlight are the little things that can be appreciated more to find happiness. Reward yourself when you achieve a goal, big, and especially small goals. While having seasonal depression, rewarding yourself for doing things that you either mildly or severely struggle with on a daily basis is a great way to manage your depression. Use little rewards for little goals, big rewards for big goals. For example, treat yourself to ice cream for finishing that homework assignment you’ve been putting off. Finally, watch that movie or show you’ve been hearing about for making yourself a nice meal. These little things will help remind you that you are doing great, and that little steps along the way still get you places.

Managing your depression with the intention to overcome it completely is what will help you get through this period. Remember that you are not alone. So many other people are going through this with you, so don’t be afraid to reach out for help. Reaching out for yourself can also help others that may be struggling to reach out, too. Seasonal depression is usually during the fall and winter months and subsides when the sun stays out longer. That means that it may resolve after the season ends. Keep this in mind to encourage you to keep going.

-hcxo

Work Cited

Torres, Felix. “Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).” American Psychiatric Association, Oct. 2020, https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/depression/seasonal-affective-disorder. 

Tiffany Artis

Valdosta '25

Hello! My name is Tiffany Artis. I am currently a self-employed beautician (specifically an eyelash extension technician) and a Business Management student at Valdosta. I plan on opening my own full-service day spa consisting of eastern practices and services. I'm starting to travel the world due to this desire so that I can offer these services authentically. I am also one of the biggest foodies that you will meet, the food I eat being adventurous yet comforting. From relaxing spa services to bustling, bright restaurants, I love learning all that there is to the mind, body, and soul, as well as the food that fuels us.