This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hey beautiful ladies!

Hope everyone’s having a decent semester so far. Miss ‘Rona has definitely changed the concept into a do-it-yourself task more than ever now. The human interaction we face in class are lost in translation with masks, and the interaction we face online is routed within the confines of Microsoft Teams and Zoom. It’s horrendous.

I’m pretty sure I (and a vast amount of other people) have chosen this time to get ahead and work on finishing out their college career; some resulting in extra credit hours. I thought to myself:

“We’re in a pandemic, I might as well go ahead and get these classes out of the way”.

It sounded like a great idea in the beginning. I was slowly coming down from my high of Spring 2020; making all A’s EVER. I just knew I could do it again… until the syllabi came; it also came when I realized the dynamic of school itself has changed and retaining information is almost impossible now.

girl stressed at computer
energepic.com

Registering for eighteen credits is not for the weak. Make sure you’re capable of doing it with no hesitation. Just remember; it’s your money on the line. College is seen as a race, but it should just be seen as a trip. When you’re constantly worried about the advancement of others, you tend to overwork yourself to catch up. We’re no longer in grade school, so no one is being left behind. Take it from me; I’m a 23-year-old Sophomore.

black woman with long blond braids smiling outside
Photo by Neemias Seara from Pexels

Pace yourself. Brace yourself. If you’re constantly feeling overwhelmed (more than you should), then you should definitely readjust and take what you can handle. The degree will always be there in the end. If it takes you longer to get it, then that’s fine. Save your mental health some, sis. 

Alrighty. That’s it. Hope y’all have a great week!

Love + determination + decisions,

Marissa Auriell

Dom Pollard

Valdosta '22

Dom is a sophomore, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in African American Studies and Sociology. They plan on doing work in either education, activism, film, or all three. They are a queer individual who speaks their mind and provides love + other elements to bring perspective to HERCampus Valdosta. HCXO!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.