This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Burning sage is the oldest and purest form of clearing energy. In ancient Rome, sage was used as for it’s healing properties. Native America Tribes used for healing, clearing space and ceremonies. Burning sage has also been used in the Middle East, Asia and many other cultures.

1. It’s purifying

Most sage has antimicrobial proprieties. This means that it can protect us from infectious bacteria, viruses and fungi. 

2. Can help with asthma, allergies and bronchitis

Burning sage helps neutralize positive ions! Positive ions are allergens like pollution, dust and mold.

Of course, inhaling the smoke can aggravate different respiration conditions, so wait until the smoke clears before entering the room.

3. Enhances Intuition

Smudging has been used in many traditions to connect to the spiritual side.

4. Transmutes negative energy

Burning sage has been used as a ritual tool to prepare for mediation.

5. Improves sleep quality

I can personally attest that since I’ve included burning sage into my nightly routine, my sleep has improved drastically.  Because sage is believed to transmute negative energies, it helps to fight bad dreams.

To sum it all up: sage is where it’s at and you should get some!

HCXO!

Markesia Barron is a senior at Valdosta State University. She majors in Middle Grades Education concentrated in Language Arts and Reading. After graduation, she plans to become a middle school Language Arts teacher in the Metro Atlanta area. Markesia enjoys writing, reading, super-hero movies, and meditating outside. She's a big Beyonce fan and self-care enthusiast.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.