Wellness > Health

Why You Might Feel Under the Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The origin of the term ‘under the weather’ came about during the time when traveling by ship was most common. Seasick passengers who could not handle the rocking of the boat would head below deck so that they would not feel the rocking movements  as much. The term came to be as passengers were forced under the deck by the weather- therefore, ‘under the weather’ was created!

This term then came to fruition with the modern age, and it’s the perfect way to explain how people feel when they are not in the mood. The cure is always important, such as targeting an illness of the mind or body. However, it’s necessary to acknowledge why people are feeling ‘under the weather’ to begin with. 

One of the biggest reasons as to why people feel ‘under the weather’ is because of the change in season, especially the change between fall to winter. The transition causes people’s bodies to have to adapt to the new temperatures. This, in turn, causes your body to be susceptible to viruses and infection. Some infections thrive and spread at higher rates when the air is cold. Additionally, due to the extreme temperature difference between the inside location and outside, people will feel more shock in their immune systems. On top of that, due to daylight savings, darkness falls at an earlier time. The shorter days and less daylight could lead to seasonal depression.

There are several ways to take care of your physical health. It starts with getting rest. That can be achieved by starting to make more of an effort to get adequate sleep or by taking a break from working. It’s also important to stay hydrated by drinking more water. Water should be at room temperature, and if not, it could also be substituted as tea. It’s also important to get nutrition, not just by having proper meals each day but also by taking vitamins. The final big recommendation is to keep in line with your hygiene. Avoid others who are sick, wear a mask around others, wash your hands frequently, and clean and disinfect your surroundings  frequently to avoid getting more sick. 

Another reason people feel under the weather has to do with the increased level of stress people feel. With the amount of work that people are doing without having a proper work-life balance, the stress can become overwhelming. It can lead to chronic stress which will actively affect a person’s way of living. The physical body could receive aches or pains, a change in appetite, or even insomnia. These reactions can continue to cause a person to experience even more stress within their lives. A person’s interaction with the people they know could be that they reflect low energy in the things they do, have a change in social behavior (such as staying in more often), or change in their emotional responses to others. These reactions can cause a person to feel even more ‘under the weather’ and isolated from their friends. 

The best way to take care of the issues that come up due to  chronic stress is to destress yourself. One big recommendation for de-stressing is to acknowledge why you are stressed. Is it an issue with school, family, health, or something else? Once you have acknowledged that then you can understand how to fix your stress. Do you need a walk to clear your head or plan out a more concrete schedule to organize your overloading assignments? Understanding that will help create a path for the future. 

Regardless, it’s important to understand the basis of why you are ‘under the weather’  before panicking. There is always a solution and always a cure. Stay safe and enjoy the frigid air with some hot drinks and warm layers!

Amandine Soho

UWindsor '24

Amandine Soho is currently a writer at the Her Campus UWindsor Chapter. Her content typically focuses on global issues, entertainment, and personal experiences. She has been a member since 2021, using this opportunity to grow her writing skills. Currently, Amandine is a fourth-year student at the University of Windsor, majoring in Forensics and Criminology, with a minor in Communication, Media, and Film. She is also the president of the Caribbean and African Organization of Students, where she helps curate events for Black students to find an inclusive community that welcomes them, on campus. In addition, Amandine is part of the Mentorship in Forensics program that allows her to guide a mentee in their academics and current exploration of careers in forensics. In her spare time, she loves talking about everything and nothing, watching TV shows and movies, writing fictitious stories, and eating all types of food (except black licorice and eggplant). She doesn't know how but she hopes to inspire someone one day.