Wellness

Ways to Incorporate Self Care into Your Study Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

We are officially at the home stretch of the fall semester! If any of you are like me, you probably have a boatload of assignments due, combined with studying for a bunch of different exams. This time of year can be stressful, which is why it is important to find ways to incorporate self-care into your study routines in order to remain calm and motivated to complete your tasks. The best time to complete self-care is in the morning, in the evening, and during study breaks. Here are some of the ways that I include self-care in my daily study routine.

Journal and Plan Your Day

Every morning while I eat breakfast, I love to plan out my day. Planning out exactly what I want to do first thing in the morning allows me to narrow down exactly what tasks I want to complete during the day. I also find that by narrowing my tasks I can feel a lot less stressed because I know exactly what I need to do. It also helps me to stay ahead in my homework and assignments! I know some people are really into planning at night, but if you still want to do some writing in the morning in order to really feel ready to take on the world, I would also suggest journaling in order to write out your feelings about the upcoming day.

Exercise

Whether it’s doing an online workout in your room or going outside for a walk, exercising is a great way to get away from your desk on study breaks. Studies have shown that exercising can help increase the energy levels in your body and bring down your stress levels, which is very important during this time. Exercising can also boost confidence and make you feel happy and healthy. By taking a 15-minute break to exercise, you can allow yourself to feel more motivated to complete your studies and feel better about yourself too!

Take Snack Breaks

Taking breaks in your day to have lunch and snacks is very important; it helps increase your energy levels. By taking a break to have a healthy snack, whether that is a granola bar, sliced fruit, or even a sandwich, you can add fuel to your body that will help you get through the rest of your day. 

Do Skincare

Self-care allows you to prioritize yourself inside and out. When it comes to caring for yourself on the outside, skincare is very important. At the end of the day, I love to take a shower or bath before bed and do some form of skincare, whether that is a face mask or even something simple such as washing my face and moisturizing my skin. If you are the type who tends to study late into the night, you can also complete self-care on your study breaks! Self-care can be done relatively quickly, as facemasks normally take 10-15 minutes, and even just washing your face doesn’t take very long! By focusing on your skincare during breaks, it can help you relax and wind down after a long day of studying.  

Chat with Friends

If you feel stressed out this time of year, chances are, your friends are probably feeling stressed out too! Find some time during the day with your friend to video call or chat on the phone, and talk about some of the highlights and low moments of your days. This can help you both feel better during this time and allow you to see a friendly face while being stuck at home studying.

Get Some Sleep

As much as we would all love to study all night long, our bodies can’t handle that. Studies show that our bodies need 7-9 hours of sleep each night in order to properly function and focus on our tasks for the day. Not getting the right amount of sleep can cause your body to be tired, unable to focus, and have a hard time retaining important material. Make sure to get the right amount of sleep that you need, especially the night before your exams, in order to feel ready and focused for your big exam!

I wish you all the best of luck during this crazy time, and I hope you all do well on your assignments and exams! Make sure to not only prioritize your schoolwork, but yourself too! Interested in figuring out more ways to include self-care into your study routine? Make sure to attend our third Coffee with Her Campus session taking place this Friday (December 4th) at 7pm EST!

Mya Bezaire is the Co-Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus UWindsor Chapter. She is responsible for overseeing all administrative aspects of the chapter, from member onboarding to article scheduling. Prior to this, Mya was the social media director (2021-2022), and she currently still helps with posting on social media. She also is a writer who’s content typically focuses around career development, entertainment, and self-care. Beyond Her Campus, Mya is a freelance digital marketer for her own business titled Market with Mya. As a freelancer Mya has worked with small-to-medium business clients based in Canada & the US to help elevate their digital presence through content creation, social media management, and design. Currently, Mya is a Senior at the University of Windsor in Communication, Media, and Film, with a minor in Information Technology. Mya is also the president of the Communication Student Association, where she oversees all marketing & events efforts to create a vibrant space for Communication Students on campus. In her free time, Mya loves immersing herself in TV and Film. She’s a reality TV junkie but also loves a good romcom or thriller-drama. She also loves prioritizing her wellness, and you can often find her journalling, listening to her fave podcasts & YouTubers, or going on a hot girl walk.