An Open Letter to Students Writing Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Dear every student writing finals,

I hope this message finds you well and I also hope you’re not stressing out too much about finals. Here’s the thing, final exams are like a monster that’s been unleashed, just when you thought you had it all together and under control. It always makes me feel better knowing that others around me are going through the same thing.

You’re probably over-caffeinated and over-stressed, but don’t worry, the struggle is real and among all of us. As a fourth-year student approaching the finish line, I know all about that overwhelming feeling of finals week. One thing that always keeps me going is knowing that in a few weeks this will all be over, and I will not owe my time to anything, except relaxing.

Your early morning study sessions at the library, late night coffee runs, and even the all-nighters we all dread, will be a thing of the past come December 21st. Look forward to the rewarding feeling of finishing a semester, spending time with family over the holidays, and binge-watching shows on Netflix.

I just want to advise you not to procrastinate until the night before. I know it seems hard, but in order to do well on exams you have to get enough sleep, food, and water. So pulling an all nighter the night before your exam is not the healthiest or smartest move. That is, you’ll be over caffeinated, dehydrated, and your brain won’t remember a thing you studied. So get your 8 hours of sleep and study before you go to sleep. Even though some of us have started our finals, those who haven’t started and have a few days to start studying, I advise you take advantage of that time.

Also, don’t over do it with the studying because your brain won’t retain anything that way either. Too much information is not the key, but in increments and with a lot of breaks. Take a nap, get some grub with your friends, or make a phone call to a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while.

Lastly, I just want you to know that you’re not in this alone. We are all over stressed and overwhelmed with the thought of writing final exams. The key is to study, remain confident, and keep your eye on the prize. You can do this!

Dhouha is a fourth-year student at the University of Windsor majoring in Women's and Gender Studies with a minor in History. Dhouha is a dual citizen of Tunisia and Canada, currently living in Windsor, Ontario. She is a writer & editor for HerCampus at UWindsor. Dhouha describes herself as a free-spirited social butterfly who is chasing every little thing her heart desires. In the future, she wishes to pursue an MA and a PhD. in Gender Studies.