How to Drag Yourself Out of Bed in the Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

This isn’t really a guide. It’s more of an honest experience. 

As many of my friends and family know, I suffer from PTSD, anxiety, and depression. I have a lot of bad days. 

Most days, my alarm rings and I don’t want to get out of bed. I don’t want to face the world and all of the upsetting things it has to offer. My internal debate usually sounds something like this:

You could just stay here all day. 

You have too many things to do. 

You could just call in sick. 

There are things that can’t be cancelled. 

That’s usually enough to get me out of bed, but the argument doesn’t stop there. While I’m getting ready, heading out the door, or on my way to class, it can go on like this: 

I don’t want to. I can’t do it today. 

I could just turn around and go back home. 

It doesn’t really matter if I miss today, right? 

Over and over and over again. Once I’m at school or work, there is usually enough going on to distract me. However, things always can (and usually do) come up that are upsetting and difficult to deal with. This makes most days exhausting. 

If you were looking for answers or the perfect guide, I can’t provide them. I can only say that while I realize the world doesn’t stop turning just because I don’t think I can function, it’s never enough to stop the internal debate. 

If you or a friend are having trouble and need help, the University of Windsor Student Health Services and Peer Support Centre are always there. There is no shame in asking for help.