bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Is Orange Theory worth it?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWB chapter.

So is Orange Theory really worth all the hype? After trying out a session, I’m here to give my honest opinion. 

They advertise the ultimate high intensity workout with motivating coaches in only one hour. “All you need is one hour” “Keep burning for 36 hours.” It sounds like the perfect twist on a gym membership for those of us who don’t have the time or motivation, but want to see results. Orange Theory offers just that. But do they? Their theory of EPOC (Excess Post-Excercise Oxygen Consumption) says that you’ll continue to burn calories even after you finish the class and hyper-advertise their many success stories on their website. Although I can’t deny that Orange Theory does work physically, it may not be all that it’s hyped up to be. 

First of all, it’s not as fun and energetic as they hype it up to. The instructor played loud music in hopes to keep you motivated, but after a few rounds from running back and forth from the treadmill to the rower and through a series of strength training exercises, it got routinely. I knew what was coming and after the second round, it felt like a repetitive cycle. If you’re able to get past this, maybe you’ll find that this workout works for you. I just found myself getting bored and staring at the clock to see how close the class was to ending. 

Additionally, Orange Theory is crazy expensive. One drop in class is $28 and a full month’s membership can be up to $200 for unlimited. I don’t know about you guys, but I rather just run laps in my backyard for free than spend that kind of money. 

I believe Orange Theory’s method is extremely effective, but it’s definitely not worth it for me. Their kind hospitality and helpful coaches definitely make the experience, but it’s not something I would stick with long term. I hope this article helped if you are interested in trying Orange Theory. I am just giving my honest opinion, but what doesn’t work for me doesn’t mean it won’t work for you. I am inspired by their dedication to changing the normal “gym workout”, but Orange Theory just isn’t for me. 

Samantha is a current Business Marketing major and Visual & Media arts minors. She loves to write about relatable topics such as dealing with stress and mental health. Aside from that, her passions include yoga, style, & self care!