This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Now that the holidays are here, we are becoming bombarded with holiday treats and might find yourself a little bloated and backed up. With the help of yoga, your body can process all that food a little easier.

1. Seated Forward Fold

Begin seated on your mat, with your legs straight out in front of you. Breathe in and straighten your spine, like you are sitting up, then exhale reaching for your toes. Hold for 5-10 breaths, reaching further with each breathe.

2.Cat and Cow

Begin the same way as downward dog, on your hands and knees with wrists beneath your shoulders and your knees below your hips, with a neutral spine. Inhale and shift your gaze to the sky, dropping your belly slightly. Exhale and drop your head and round your back, spreading your fingertips wide. Repeat for 5-10 breaths.

3.  Childs Pose

Begin kneeling, knees hip distance apart with the tops of your feet on the ground. Bend forward reaching towards the edge of the mat and spread your fingers wide. Relax your shoulders away from your ears, feeling a stretch down your spine. Continue to reach forward with each breath. Hold for 5-10 breaths.

4.  One-legged seated twist

Begin seated on your mat, with your legs straight out in front of you. Twist your body towards your right leg, and take your left leg and place it on the outside of your right leg, bending it so your foot can rest on the ground. Squeeze your leg and hold for 5-10 breaths. Repeat with your right leg.

5. Pigeon Pose

Start in down dog. Exhale, bringing your left knee to your left elbow and left ankle to right wrist on your mat. Fold forward over your left leg, feeling your spine lengthen. Hold for 3 breaths.

By warming up your body, your muscles can relax and that will help assist your “inner flow” and get things moving again. Namaste.  

Samantha Jo Floersch is originally from Lakeville, Minnesota and is a junior majoring in Industrial Design and Business Administration. She is known as a fitness addict; you can always find her at the gym or practicing yoga at home.
Her Campus at UW-Stout