This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

It’s that dreaded time of year again, where colds and flu run wild. Nobody wants to get sick, so here are a few ways that you can combat those nasty viruses and bacteria quickly, so you can get back out there doing what you enjoy!

Take Vitamins

When you start to feel a tiny cough coming on, or even a few sneezes, taking your vitamins as soon as possible will be your savior. Taking vitamins daily is also a great way to combat the common cold or many other types of sickness. There are many different types and brands of vitamins. One brand I recommend is USANA vitamins; they are powerful, natural, and make you feel great!

Drink Lots of Fluids

Drinking lots of fluids, mainly water, is a great way to help flush out all that nasty bacteria in your body. Keeping your body hydrated will also help kick out that cold quicker and have you feeling better in no time!

Drink Hot Tea With Honey

If you have a sore throat during a cold, one great way to conquer it is to drink some hot tea of your choice and add some honey in it. I suggest adding about a tablespoon of honey. The honey will act as a coating on your throat soothing it from coughing.

Avoid Alcohol

During a cold, one thing to refrain from is drinking alcohol. As I mentioned earlier, staying hydrated is extremely important, especially during a cold. Alcohol will dehydrate you very quickly.

Get Some Sleep/Rest

It’s completely normal to feel exhausted when you’re not feeling well. It’s simply your body trying to fight the virus in your body; your immune system is working overtime. The best way for you to feel better is to get some sleep and take it easy during the day. When you sleep, your body has time to fight off the cold and rejuvenate itself. So take it easy for the day and get some rest.

Sanitize Everything

Keeping a clean and sanitary room is a good way to prevent illness in the first place. Wiping down places that you touch often such as doorknobs, your phone, etc. will help keep you healthy.

It’s important to try to prevent sickness before it even begins, but if it does come around your way using these methods will help knock that cold out in no time at all! Take care of your body when you are healthy and sick as well. 

Hello! My name is Elizabeth Jacobson, but most people call me Liz for short. I am a sophomore this year at UW-Stout to get my Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I plan to have an emphasis in entrepreneurship so that after college I can pursue my dreams of owning my own store. I have a passion for writing. I love new ideas, meeting new people, and exploring different things in life. 
Her Campus at UW-Stout