bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Easy and Cheap Protein and Fiber-Rich Ideas for the Busy Snacker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Many of us are busy individuals, looking for a quick bite to eat in between work, school, homework, working out, and activities with friends. I can attest that it can be very challenging to find good tasting, quick snacks on a budget that still provide the nutrients we should be getting on the daily.

A good place to start is to look for complex carbohydrates, like foods that are rich in whole grain, rather than simple carbohydrates, such as white bread and processed/refined grains. Whole grains have a good amount of fiber in them that will prevent the early on-set hunger. According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ EatRight resource, it’s specified that nutrients of public health concern and the ones we should incorporate into our meals and snacks are:

• Calcium
  • Potassium
  • Vitamin D
  • Dietary fiber

Tips for formulating a nutritious & easy snack: 

• Consume more fruits and vegetables of a variety of color (specifically dark green and red-orange). Fruits and veggies will also provide plenty of antioxidants that are useful for cancer prevention as well as diabetes and Heart Disease prevention.
  • Place produce in plain sight for an easy snack
  • Limit to 200 calories or less
  • Limit fat intake to 10 percent or less of your total calories and reducing trans-fat as much as possible
  • Dried fruit: Doesn’t require a fridge, doesn’t generate mess, and contains little to no added sugar! Can range from dried apples, apricots, and blueberries to the typical raisin. Don’t forget that dried fruit can also be added to a trail mix or a salad for some variety.
  • Canned fruit: Quick and cheap! This can include applesauce without added sugar, mandarin oranges or pineapple.
  • Frozen produce: Again, this is a cheap and easy alternative to the fresh stuff. Try strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries in yogurt, or in a smoothie, or even as a frozen fruit bar. Use frozen beans or tomatoes to make a salsa or dip!

Snack Ideas:

Peanut Butter Flaxseed Power Bites: good way to consume a little energy and add some electrolytes back                                                    

Servings: ~2-3 bites (athletes consume 3-4)  

Ingredients:

• 1 c of peanut butter
  • 2/3 c honey
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
  • 2 c shredded old-fashioned oats
  • 2 c shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 1 c ground flaxseed
  • 1 c mini chocolate chips
  • ½ c dried cherries

Directions:

1. Mix peanut butter, honey, and extract well
  2. Add the rest and mix well
  3. Use a #40 scoop (equivalent to about 0.75oz) and pack the mixture into a bite-sized ball
  4. Refrigerate and store in an air-tight container

Nutritional: 1 portion=

120 calories               7g fat

3.5g saturated fat      13g Carbohydrate

3g protein

Super-Packed Snacks: Rolling two food groups into one!

• Choose a carbohydrate in its original form and with no added sugar, such as whole grain crackers or air-popped popcorn
  • Pick a protein-rich snack that is minimally processed like nut butters, seeds, cheeses, Greek yogurt, or soybeans

Healthy Trail Mix: combine 2/3 cup of a base grain (whole grain cereal, baked crackers or pretzels) and add the rest as the higher calorie food like the dried fruits or nuts

-Example recipe: combine 1 cup low sugar whole grain cereal, 1 cup whole grain cheddar crackers or pretzels, 1/3 cup nuts or seeds, and 1/3 cup dried fruit

I'm a Dietetics student at UW-Stout! My passions are health & nutrition, music, movies, sports, eco-friendly living, and being around fun-loving people.
Her Campus at UW-Stout