Wellness > Health

Is drinking apple cider vinegar actually good for you?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

You may have cooked with apple cider vinegar before, but have you ever thought about drinking it? Just look at some “What I Eat in a Day” videos on YouTube and you will quickly find fitness gurus starting their day by chugging or taking shots of apple cider vinegar. While we try to eat healthy, how do we know that doing this will actually improve our health?

Pros:

• It can help you lose a little bit of weight. While you won’t drop 10 pounds chugging apple cider vinegar, it can help you feel more full and consume less calories. One study found that over a 12-week period, participants lost about 8.8 pounds.
  • It kills bad bacteria in your digestive system, helping you absorb more nutrients and minimize bloating.
  • It kills microorganisms, which can prevent bad breath.
  • It contains potassium and can help you prevent or recover faster from muscle cramps.
  • It can help stabilize blood sugar levels and fight type 2 diabetes.

Cons:

• It needs to be diluted because it is too acidic for your body. Ideally, you should dilute one to two tablespoons per glass of water. 
  • It may interact with some foods. It is best to drink it on an empty stomach because some foods may cancel its affects, while others heighten it.
  • Acid could erode your teeth and enamel.
  • If you suffer from acid reflux, you may want to stay away from apple cider vinegar as it can trigger it.

The bottom line is apple cider vinegar isn’t the “miracle food” some claim it is, but it has some pretty positive effects. If you do want to try it out, start with small amounts and make sure to dilute it.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout