This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Wandering into the gym, your first thought might not be to pick up one of those heavy dumbbells you see all the buff (or not so buff) guys throwing around in the free weight area, but if you do, let me tell you, it feels pretty bad ass.

Getting past the initial stages of “Oh my gosh, I am about to make a fool of myself,” take a second to think about how many people feel, or have felt, the same way as you. I know I did when I crossed over to “the other side” for the first time. It can be intimidating being alongside the next Arnold Schwarzenegger curling dumbbells that weigh twice as much as you do.

Some things to remember when you’re new to the “other side”:

1.     People are not paying as much attention to you as you think they are

2.     Try lifting heavier weights! You would be surprised how strong you might be

3.     Up your reps! For example, 2 sets of 10-12 repetitions. (In other words, lift the weight 10-12 consecutive times, rest, and then do another 10-12 repetitions.)

4.     Watch your form in the mirror, make sure it is correct. (check out BodyBuilding.com for videos!)

5.     Get a hardcore playlist to keep you motivated.

The feeling of nervousness and anxiety will decrease each time you pick up a weight. Everyone gets nervous when they do things the first time, but who knows… maybe you’ll love it! 

Samantha Jo Floersch is originally from Lakeville, Minnesota and is a junior majoring in Industrial Design and Business Administration. She is known as a fitness addict; you can always find her at the gym or practicing yoga at home.
Her Campus at UW-Stout