This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Self-care is so important and it’s healthy for the mind and the body. Something that has been really trending lately is face masks. Face masks are great because there is one for every skin type and any kind of result you would want. Want that natural glow? Or what about a hydrating cleanse? There’s a face mask for that. Plus they are kind of fun to use as well. 

The problem is that people are slapping a face mask on themselves, taking a selfie, and calling it self care. Wearing a face mask once a month is not self-care. That is just the tip of the iceberg. Your mind and body go much further than your face. Here are some ways that you can treat yourself to a real self-care day. And yes, it normally takes a whole day so buckle up.

Whiten your teeth

There are tons of options for whitening your teeth. There are the strips, the little brush, the charcoal scrub, and more.

Try a hair mask

Just like the face, the hair needs a little pick me every once in a while too. They are great if you struggle with dry ends and brittle winter hair. 

Whole body exfoliation

Sometimes, we just need to give our skin a little pick-me-up and scrub off all that dead skin. You can make DIY coffee or sugar scrubs super easily too. 

Hair Removal

Take some time sitting in front  of a well-lit mirror and pluck your eyebrows, wax the lip, and pluck any other pesky hairs that you normally don’t have time to worry about. 

Make a green smoothie

They may look icky, but some green smoothies are just as delicious as they are healthy. Some ingredients to try for one is mango, spinach, avocado, and coconut water. They will fill you up and give you that boost you need for your day. 

Try an exercise video

Tired of being cooped up in your room all day? Find a fun exercise video on YouTube to follow along with. Try something new that you have never before tested like yoga, Zumba, or Piyo. If you have a ChromeCast, you can cast it on your TV and it will feel just like the gym. 

Get a manicure or pedicure

If you have an extra 25 dollars, treat yourself to a trip to the salon and get a manicure or splurge a little and get a pedicure too. Or stay home and give yourself one!

Take a long soak in the tub with a good book

Time to use those bath bombs that are collecting dust in your closet! Make a night out of it and put on some relaxing music, your favorite bath salts or bombs, and kick back with a good book. 

Journal

Journaling is good for some self-reflective time. Calm your mind and write down anything that will help you digest your day.

Steam your face

Facial steaming has many great benefits. It unclogs pores and hydrates your face which is crucial in these dry winter months. If you don’t own a facial steamer, just boil some water and hover your face over the steam for a couple minutes. Then, apply toner and face lotion. Having a humidifier in your room at night is also good for keeping your skin hydrated. 

These are just some examples of ways to exercise your right to self-care. As you can see, they go way further than just wearing a face mask! 

Katie is a student at UW-Stout majoring in Professional Communications and Emerging Media. Her hobbies including cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dante, watching Netflix in her bathrobe, and of course, writing! 
Her Campus at UW-Stout