Seven Things That Are Cooler Than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

A new school year has begun, which means it is the perfect time to get involved and find some new activities to do. With numerous things to learn and get involved in on campus, it can be daunting to figure out what to focus on. If you are out of ideas or need more inspiration, then this is the list for you! Here is a short list of exciting things on campus that are cooler than you think:

1.  For starters, finding a club, club-sport, or Greek chapter to join.

This is a perfect place to start if you have not sought out a group to join yet. With over 200 organizations on campus, you are bound to find something to fit in to. From niche clubs, to being active in a sport, the possibilities are endless of what you can choose. Also, don’t forget to pay attention to the Greek groups on campus because it will not only automatically give you new “brothers” or “sisters,” but looks amazing on a resume, just like clubs do. It may even help you land a job if you meet a fellow brother/sister alumni in your field of choice.

2.  Visiting the tutors in the library is a not so obvious cool thing to do.

If you’re already struggling in one of your courses or just need someone to make sure you’re on the right track with, the tutors will do wonders. And the best thing yet, you won’t be alone! Many people make life-long friends from the support groups they form by visiting the tutors. And if you happen to not have a tutor for a specific class, it is also not uncommon for students to create their own study groups. So, go ahead and chat with the person next to you in class to get a study group going. Better yet, doing this will also improve your grades.

3.  In addition, meeting with your professor during their office hours is cool.

If you’re not into studying in groups or really socializing too much at all, meeting with your professor is a great alternative. All the professors on campus are amazing and were hired for a reason: to help you learn. Many professors will help you with homework from them explaining exactly what they are looking for, to giving insight on the next exam. A professor can even help you get a job through connections or giving you a good word through being a reference on your resume.

4.  Using the relaxation room is also a cool thing to do.

Located on the second floor of Centennial in the testing and counseling center is the relaxation room. There are all sorts of things to do in this room to help you unwind after a long and stressful day. Some of those things include soft chairs, cozy blankets, and relaxation music. This peaceful room can give you the chance to recharge, bring peace back to your mind, refocus, and give yourself a short study break.

5.  To make use of a weekly planner is also really cool to do.

Easily lose track of what is due for the week? Wait no further. You can find a planner of your own for FREE at the information desk in UWL’s student union. With this, you can stay on top of your organization and never forget what is due next. If you’d really like to, you can even procrastinate a little bit by color coordinating and putting stickers in your planner. Don’t pass up on this free, handy tool!

6.  Taking advantage of the student health clinic.

Inside the health-science building you will find the student health clinic. Whether you need a general check-up, flu shot, or STI test, this clinic has it all. With most expenses just being $5 or very minimal, it is a great option for all students. The clinic makes is easier than the average to book an appointment by having the option to book online. Being within walking distance to campus, an array of hours to book online from, and being cheap in cost, what more can you ask for? Oh, they also have free condoms.

7.  Lastly, visiting a counselor in the counseling and testing center.

Most people tend to think they’re not stressed enough, they’re not sad enough, they’re not whatever enough to visit a counselor. However, anyone is welcome into the counseling center. Everyone deserves a better state of mind or to get that extra advice of how to manage stress. And even if you do think you may be suffering with something like depression, they can help you with that as well. With the cost being included in your tuition and the counselors being so wonderful, don’t hesitate to stop into the counseling center, because it’s cool to be healthy.

Leave a comment with what you think of this list and what else you think should be added!

Image 1: https://img1.etsystatic.com/136/0/7596644/il_340x270.987556471_g3ch.jpg

Image 2: http://news.uwlax.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/MurphyFallW.jpg 

Image 3: https://www.uwlax.edu/student-health-center/services/

Image 4: https://www.uwlax.edu/globalassets/campus/centennial-hall/feature/centennial_hall-feature.jpg 

Breanna is a Professional Communication Studies Student with a Sociology minor at UW-La Crosse. Some of her favorite hobbies are growing plants, doing yoga, and keeping up with being organized. Breanna is excited to be a part of Her Campus to help bring all women together more by sharing her thoughts and stories to the community, and to just make more friends. She hopes that many will appriciate her articles on lifestyle experiences to relationship advice.