This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

In light of the wonderful weather we’re having, and as it seems spring and summer are coming earlier than usual this year, it appears La Crosse has come out of hibernation, and it would be a shame not to take advantage of the outdoors, especially for those trying to tone their leg and ab muscles. Many students feel they need to get in shape before Spring Break and summer begins, but if you are knee-deep in mid-term homework this is on the brink of unrealistic. Summer and Spring Break shouldn’t be a deadline to get in shape, but rather an opportunity to get back in that workout routine you just didn’t have time for during the semester. The great thing about warmer weather is that there are so many ways to exercise without going to the gym. In fact, there are too many to list here. So, I have narrowed down the list to venues of exercise that allow you to get in shape outside, while getting in touch with nature and your spiritual self, because we forget our minds need relaxing just as much as our bodies need exercise. These eight earthy ways to get in shape are great workouts that are so peaceful and down-to-earth that they don’t really feel like workouts at all. It’s important to keep in shape each your mind, body and soul. Sometimes we forget to take a step back and breathe, to strip back those thoughts to the most important and simple things in life. Spring Break is the breath before another wave of craziness begins and all of those thoughts return. What better way to heal your mind and body than through the simple pleasures in life like nature? Read on to discover how to get your body back in shape and give your mind a break at the same time.

1.   Go on a bluff hike.

Hiking is as peaceful as it is an exceptionally good workout. Devil’s Lake State Park, located just south of Baraboo, Wisconsin, is my personal favorite place to hike (Grandad Bluffs aren’t an eyesore either!). The view is out of this world (at least for Wisconsin). You can’t feel it at the time (the beautiful sights are too distracting), but your legs will feel the burn the next day. Hiking is a great leg workout, if nothing else. Stop anywhere to take a break, enjoy the view and take in the peace and quiet. 

2.  Do yoga outdoors.

Take the yoga mat outdoors where you can breathe in the fresh air; Find a quiet spot in a grassy park or, simply, your backyard. Yoga is known for its meditation and has a great reputation for keeping you healthy, flexible and in shape.

3.  Go paddle boarding.

If water is more of your thing, stand up paddle boarding is a great way to get in the water (although you might want to hold of on this activity until summer; The air is warm, but the water is a different story). Work your abs at the same time (if you are advanced enough, try yoga on a paddle board; There are classes for this!). Stand up paddle boarding is as close as us Wisconsinites get to surfing. It works your abs, arms and legs. Plus, it’s a good way to get away from the shores of civilization for a while.

4.  Go biking.

Riding bike is fun because you have your wheels to rely on and push you forward when you get tired, and you can go fast, so it seems like you are actually getting somewhere in your workout! Find a bike trail near by, away from all the car traffic on the roads. Country roads can be quiet too if there is not a lot of traffic.

5.  Try rock climbing.

Rock climbing is similar to hiking, but a little more involved. Learn how to rock climb outside the UW-La Crosse climbing wall, although this is a great alternative as is! Imagine the view after climbing a mountain, or maybe something a little less intimidating, like a bluff. Imagine the view and the accomplishment you’d feel!

6.  Simply run outside.

Running isn’t for everyone, but for some it has a sense of empowerment that can’t be achieved anyway else. You can run anywhere, which makes this an ideal everyday workout. Run somewhere scenic where the view is more distracting than your aching ankles and heavy breathing.

7.  Go canoeing or kayaking.

Lastly, canoeing or kayaking is a terrific arm and ab workout, and it is particularly peaceful at dawn or dusk when there aren’t as many boats and people out and about.  You can do this on a lake or river, anywhere that floats your boat!

You don’t have to work out to work out. Find a hobby you enjoy, such as one or all of the ones mentioned above, and let our body work itself. Meanwhile, take a breath-air from the complexity of life and enjoy the view!

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO